1920 Historical Buildings of Southern University and A&M College
Southern University and A & M College--Buildings; Home economics centers
[Industrial Building for Girls]. This structure was built in 1920 and later known as the Home Economics Building. This two-story masonry building features a very slightly projecting central section (suggestive of a pavilion) with an entrance ornamented in a restrained manner. The decoration includes three pairs of simple cast concrete pilasters, with each pair framing a central double door or the single windows which flank it. Each pilaster terminates in a bracket instead of a capital, and each pair of brackets supports its own simply molded cornice. Other features found on the building include a stepped parapet with brick coping, a cornice composed of horizontal brick bands, and two string courses comprised of bricks laid in soldier courses. One string course is found below the first floor windows, the other above the second floor openings. Wooden panels fill the spaces between large first and second floor windows. A similar window treatment is found on the side elevations. Although the central windows on one side have been converted into doors and a metal staircase to the second level has been added, the building's façade is virtually unaltered. In October, 1971 the building was commissioned the Naval Science Navy ROTC and in 1986 the name changed to Naval ROTC Ronald E. McNair Hall.
Southern University and A&M College
Southern University and A&M College-Archives Department-John B. Cade Library