FOUNDERS' DAY ADDRESS by Dr. Joseph Samuel Clark The school was formerly located in New Orleans, Louisiana, on the corner of Soniat and Magazine Streets, one city block. It served as a high school for thirty years, and its appropriations never exceeded $10,000.00. The plant, while located in New Orleans, consisted of one brick building, which was used as Academic building, and two frame buildings, one of which housed the Science equipment and the other was the home of the janitor. The present Southern University was not constructed upon this spot by mere chance, but it came into existence through struggles, strenuous efforts and a nasty fight. In 1910 a committee approached the Legislature and asked for a State Normal. Southern University was offered for a compromise, and thus the fight began. The Legislature was divided into two groups on this subject—the city and the country. When an effort was made to move the school a law suit was instituted and the matter was taken to the Supreme Court. The location of the new school was paramount of consideration. The first location offered was at Grambling, the second was New Iberia; the next was Donaldsonville, then three places near Baton Rouge, which resulted finally in the present spot.