The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 77. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. NOVEMBER, 1896. ATLANTA UNIVERSITY, ATLANTA, GA., Is a Christian Institution, unsec-tarian in its management and influence, wholly controlled by an independent Board of Trustees, and receiving no aid from city, state or national government, or benevolent society. Has 290 students in College, Normal, College Preparatory and Sub-Normal departments, under 23 officers and teachers. Trains teachers and. leaders of their race from among the sons and daughters of the Freedmen of the South. Has sent out 306 graduates from College and Normal courses, nearly all of whom, together with hundreds of past undergraduates, are engaged in teaching and other useful work in Georgia and surrounding States. Owns four large brick buildings, on sixty-five acres of land, one mile from the centre of Atlanta, Ga., library of 9,400 volumes, apparatus aud other equipment—all valued at not less than a quarter of a million dollars. Having no endowment (except about $33,000, mostly for special objects), the Institution requires at least $20,000 a year in donations from its friends, to continue the work now in hand, and a fund of about $500,000 to put that work on a permanent basis. Annual scholarships of $40 each are asked for to provide for the tuition of one student for one year, over and above the nominal tuition fees paid by the student. Subscriptions of $100 and upwards, or any smaller sums, are solicited for general current expenses. Remittances of donations, or inquiries for further information, may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. Pres. Bumstead spent the greater part of his brief vacation in Washington, D. C. He attended the opening of the Armstrong and Slater Memorial Trade School, at Hampton Institute, Nov. 18 and 19. He is now again in Boston. We are glad to know that his vacation has proved beneficial, and wish him success in his good work as our president. Rev. Ellsworth Bonfils also attended the exercises at Hampton, on his way North. He made a good use of his stay in the South, visiting quite a number of schools and becoming acquainted with the various types of educational work. Mr. Bonfils is now in New York, room 505, United Charities Building, Fourth Ave. and 22nd St. Contributions to our work, from friends in New York and vicinity, will be gladly received by him. We congratulate the American Missionary Association, whose Jubilee meeting was so recently held, on the grand work done under their auspices during the last fifty years. Atlanta University remembers with gratitude her own indebtedness, in earlier years, to the treasury of the A. M. A. And although we are now independent, we never forget the bond that once united us, nor the bond that still unites us in that we are sharers in a common work. Rev. and Mrs. A. C. Reed, of Manchester, Vt., came to us Nov. 4, as the guests of Atlanta University, They were here for several months last year, and their influence in the school was most wholesome. We well remember Mr. Reed's occasional sermons last year, and are glad that we are to hear him again. Dr. S. Palmer Lloyd ('89) is one of the leading trustees and members of the surgical staff of the McKane Hospital for Women and Children and Training School for Nurses, in Savannah. This is an institution which was organized May 1st, 1893, and incorporated June 1st, 1896. It is a public charity which depends on voluntary contributions for its maintenance. Drs. McKane and Lloyd deserve much praise for their efforts in behalf of such a work. As was plainly brought out in the conference on Negro mortality held here last May, the colored people in the cities are at a great disadvantage by reason of their lack of suitable hospital facilities. Every effort possible should be made to overcome this disadvantage. In connection with the above we are pleased to note the opening of a hospital and nurse-training school by the Women's Club of New Orleans, a club of colored women. This enterprise has been added to the medical department of the University of New Orleans. During the summer the proceedings of the conference held here in May for the investigation of city problems were published by the Atlanta University Press. The title of the pamphlet is; Mortality among Negroes in Cities. Any subscribers to the Bulletin who have not yet sent for this interesting report are entitled to receive it. upon application. Rev. S. X. Floyd ('91) has visited us for a few days. He preached for us one Sunday, spoke to the school at morning devotions, and delivered the second lecture of our popular lecture course on the subject, "A Glance at Some National Problems." It was a great pleasure to hear Mr. Floyd on all these occasions. Mention of his present work, and an article by him on his experience last summer as one of the Rescue Quartet, will be found elsewhere in this number of the Bulletin. Mention was made in these columns last year of the Scroll, a news sheet published by the students for local circulation. This has now grown into a dignified monthly, published under the auspices of the Phi Kappa Society, and also serving as the organ of the Alumni Association. Geo.. F. Smith ('97) is the editor-in-chief, J. P. Seabrook ('99) is the business manager, Geo. A. Towns ('94) is alumni editor, and others are associated with them. It is issued from the University printing office, and presents a tasty appearance. The price of subscription is 50 cents a year. We wish the best of success to the Scroll.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1896 no. 77|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is November 1896, no. 77.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|