The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 69. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. DECEMBER, 1895. ATLANTA UNIVERSITY, ATLANTA, GA., Is a Christian Institution, unsec-tarian in its management and influence, wholly controlled by an independent Board of Trustees, and receiving no aid from city, state or national government, or benevolent society. Has 255 students in College, Normal, College-Preparatory and Sub-Normal departments, under 23 officers and teachers. Trains teachers and leaders of their race from among the sons and daughters of the Freedmen of the South. Has sent out 275 graduates from College and Normal courses, nearly all of whom, together with hundreds of past undergraduates, are engaged in teaching and other useful work in Georgia and surrounding States. Owns four large brick buildings, on sixty-five acres of land, one mile from the centre of Atlanta, Ga.; library of 8,000 vols., apparatus and other equipment—all valued at not less than a quarter of a million dollars. Having no endowment (except about $33,000, mostly for special objects), the Institution requires at least $20,000 a year in donations from its ft lends, to continue the work now in hand, and a fund of about $500,000 to put that work on a permanent basis. Annual scholarships of $40 each are asked for to provide for the tuition of one student for one year, over and above the nominal tuition fees paid by the student. Subscriptions of $100 and upwards, or any smaller stuns, are solicited for general current expenses. Remittances of donations, or inquiries for further information, may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D, Atlanta, Ga. The sermon of Dr. Adams, printed on another page of this paper, is a fair sample of the style of preaching that our students have, and sets forth, in a large measure, the aims and spirit of the Institution. We were glad to enroll among our Exposition guests, Mr. George P. Morris, an associate editor of the Congregationalist. His presence among us for a few days was helpful, and his words of wit and wisdom were cheering and stimulating. Teachers and students spent a most enjoyable evening listening to Mrs. Estelle M. H. Merrill, perhaps best known as "Jean Kincaid," and President of the Cantabrigia Club, of Cambridge. Her address upon the Federation of Women's Clubs was a revelation to many in the audience of the great and varied work of women in club life. In a bicycle race at the Exposition, our librarian, Miss Stenabaugh, took the first prize, a purse of $25. When a gentleman came and tied a blue bow to her wheel, she asked him what that was for. The Atlanta dailies have not yet requested her picture. The prize was for the best riding and the best decoration of wheel. Her decoration was in natural flowers—smilax and chrysanthemums. President Bumstead recently spent a few days at the University, and then felt compelled to return to his self-sacrificing task of soliciting funds for current expenses. We wish that he might be here all the time, and the writer of this paragraph, knowing from experience something of the unpleasant nature of President Bumstead's mission, is disposed to crave for him a large measure of sympathy and considerateness. This good work must go on. Would that some genius might invent a better way for securing the necessary means. On November 29, our teacher of elocution, Mrs. Herndon, and our teacher of music, Miss Hurlbutt, supported by the Glee Club and students from the elocutionary and musical classes, gave a concert in the chapel. All the parts were well done and generously applauded, and although there were strong attractions elsewhere, the attendance was good, and the net receipts were more than forty dollars. The friends of the University are standing by their Institution. We have been favored with a large number of visitors during the past month. Among them were T. Thomas Fortune, Mrs. Matthews and Mrs. Ednah D. Cheney. We hope to print in our next number Mrs. Cheney's remarks to the school. An article upon the work of our college graduates is laid over for the next number of the Bulletin. Another upon the work of the normal graduates will follow, and then we would like material for an article about old students who received their education here, but did not graduate. Many are occupying prominent positions and doing good work. We would like to know more about them. Let graduates and other readers in these Southern States send us the desired data. A large part of the last page of the November Bulletin was taken up by a list of donations from friends in this State, made in response to the solicitation of Mr. F. A. Curtright, a member of our Senior class, who offered to help his school in this way. The efforts of Mr. Curtright, and the generous responses of graduates, former students and other friends, are appreciated by the officers of the Institution, and cannot fail to stimulate friends at a distance. Here is a straw with reference to the dying out of the Negro race. In our college class of 1876, were nine members. One has not married, and one died soon after graduation. The number of children now living in the seven families is three, five, five, six, six, eight and eight—making an average of about six. It may be added that the blood in these families is much mixed, and yet, contrary to the theory of many upon this point, the children are rather unusually healthy and vigorous. The new bridge across Hunter street, upon its completion, was formally opened to travel by some simple ceremonies. The teachers and students formed in line and marched across the bridge, led by the college carriage, occupied by the four teachers who were on the ground in the first years of the University, and d the Institution horse, "Billy," the honor of being the on account of his "h Then all sang " A ogy, and gave th adopted coll
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1895 no. 69|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is December 1895, no. 69.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|