The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 64. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. APRIL, 1895. ATLANTA UNIVERSITY, ATLANTA, GA., Is a Christian Institution, unsec-tarian in its management and influence, wholly controlled by an independent Board of Trustees, and receiving no aid from city, state or national government, or benevolent society. Has 216 students in College, Normal, College-Preparatory and Sub-Normal departments, under 15 officers and teachers. Trains teachers and leaders of their race from among the sons and daughters of the Freedmen of the South. Has sent out 275 graduates from College and Normal courses, nearly all of whom, together with hundreds of past undergraduates, are engaged in teaching and other useful work in Georgia and surrounding States. Owns four large brick buildings, on sixty-five acres of land, one mile from the centre of Atlanta, Ga.; library of 8,000 vols., apparatus and other equipment—all valued at not less than a quarter of a million dollars. Having no endowment (except about $33,000, mostly for special objects), the Institution requires at least $20,000 a year in donations from its fiends, to continue the work now in hand, and a fund of about $500,000 to put that work on a permanent basis. Annual scholarships of $40 each are asked for to provide for the tuition of one student for one year, over and above the nominal tuition fees paid by the student. Subscriptions of $100 and upwards, or any smaller sums, are solicited for general current expenses. Remittances of donations, or inquiries for further information, may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D, Atlanta, Ga. Friends at the North, who attended the concerts of the Atlanta University Quartet last summer and heard Mr. Johnson sing his original mule song and relate his humorous mule story, will read with interest his article of a more serious nature in another column in which he tells what Atlanta University has done for him. Mr. W. A. Stearns, the superintendent of the printing office, is dividing his time this year between that work and teaching some branches of natural science, in which he is very proficient. The Bulletin is set up in our office and considerable job work is done. A small class is taking lessons in printing. Atlanta University is to have an exhibit at the coming Exposition in Atlanta, and we have received a favorable reply to our application for space in the Negro building. It is to be hoped that our usual industries will be in full operation at the opening of the next school year. The religious interest among the students seems earnest and constant. At the mid-week prayer meeting, attendance upon which is voluntary, it is not unusual for every student to be present who has not a good reason for absence. On one memorable evening in January six young men, who had long been professing Christians but had become indifferent, renewed their allegiance to Christ and his service. At the last communion four young women united with the college church on confession of faith. Mr. Hunton, the college secretary of the Y. M. C. A. for colored organizations, has recently made us a visit and addressed the school at a Sunday night service and held a conference with the members of the college association. We express our appre- ciation of the character of his services by heartily wishing him to come again. The public rhetorical exercises given in Ware Memorial Chapel on occasional Friday nights have usually attracted many old pupils and friends from the city and have been enjoyed and appreciated. A prominent educator has said that the colored man is to be the orator of the next century. A class in English composition were asked by their teacher to write essays telling what they would do if they had a million dollars. Almost all said they would generously remember Atlanta University. Some would give 'for specified objects while others would place their gifts in the hands of the trustees. Now, if those who really have the millions knew as much a-bout the work of Atlanta University as these students know, we are sure they would actually do as these students think they themselves would. The University Glee Club recently gave an enjoyable concert in the chapel, at which a good audience was present. Mrs. Atkinson and three graduates, Miss Lilla Badger, Mrs. A. McN. Herndon and Dr. J. R. Porter, assisted, and each one was encored. Mrs. Herndon gave a concert in November which netted the school over sixty dollars, and purposes to give others. The honest penny turned by the Club was satisfactory to them, and well-earned. We are hoping to receive prompt and full reports from all our graduates in response to our open letter to them in a recent number of the Bulletin. There should be close and sympathetic relations between the University and all its alumni. And the still larger number of those who took only a partial course may be sure that the University has a deep interest in them.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1895 no. 64|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is April 1895, no. 64.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|