The bulletin of Atlanta University,
|Previous||1 of 8||Next|
Loading content ...
THE OF ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. No. 4. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. January, 1888. Stone Hall contains—on the first floor, offices of the president and treasurer, library of over 6,000 volumes, and (as well as on other floors), recitation rooms; on the second floor over the library (both in the end this way), a prayer-meeting room, and*next to it the natural science room, with cabinets containing collections and apparatus; in the wing behind the main building, the study hall for 150 normal and college preparatory students, and over it the chapel for Sunday services and general gatherings of all the students; in the basement of the main building, separate ante-rooms for boys and girls, and also a printing office and a sewing room ; in the cellar under the rear wing, the 3 large boilers by which Stone Hall, North Hall, and South Hall are all heated with steam. The upper story of Stone Hall is unfinished, and at least $2,000 is needed for that purpose. SOUTH HALL. STONE HALL. NORTH HALL. South Hall is the dormitory for the boys and half the teachers. In the basement and first story are the study halls and recitation rooms for the Grammar School pupils, in the first story a reading room, and a book-store for the sale of textbooks, stationery, etc. North Hall is the dormitory for the girls and half the teachers. In the basement are the kitchen and dining room for all the boarders, boys, girls, and teachers; also the dish-washing room where all dishes are washed by the girls, and the class-kitchen where regular instruction in cooking is given. In the basement of the wing is the hall occupied by the primary school. On the first floor is a reading room for girls and guest room for visitors. :ODDS AND ENDS. Five hundred pupils are enrolled this year, of whom one hundred and ninety-four are boarders and three hundred and six are day pupils; two hundred and thirty-six are boys and two hundred and sixty-four are girls. This is the largest attendance in the history of the Institution. The " Symposium " in this number is designed to cover the entire ground of discussion over the varied legislation of last summer affecting Atlanta University. "Writers of the North, South, East, and "West, religious and secular, Republican, Democratic, and Independent, white and colored,—all follow one another with argument and answer, endorsement or criticism, so as to present consecutively all phases and shades of opinion brought out by the discussion. Two of the editors represented in the Symposium are trustees of Atlanta University— Rev. Wm. J. White, of the Georgia Baptist, organ of the colored Baptists, and Mr. Richard B. Wright, A. M., of the Augusta Sentinel. Mr. "Wright was the boy told of in Whittier's poem "Howard at Atlanta," and is a graduate of Atlanta University in the class of 1876. Last summer, five boys who had received their only training in our wood-working classes obtained steady employment as carpenters at from $1.50 to $2,50 a day—good wages for this region. This shows that technical training can be made "practical," The State Boards of Visitors never criticised us for giving too much of the higher education to our pupils. They repeatedly praised that part of our work and once expressed the hope that it would never be allowed to fall into disrepute. The statement in the Calvin resolutions that "the faculty do not desire or encourage the application of white persons for entrance" was made without authority. So far as it intimates that any applicant, because of his color, would not be welcomed, it is not true. At the same time it is not true that any persons have been encouraged to apply for admission, because they were of one color rather than another. The doors of the Institution have been open, and the matter of color left to adjust itself.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1888 no. 4|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is January, 1888 no. 4.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact email@example.com with specific object file name.|