The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
Number 195______________________Atlanta, Georgia__________________December, 1909 Yale Men and Atlanta University The founder and first president of Atlanta University was a Yale man, Edmund A. Ware, of the class of 1863. He remained in the work until his death, in 1885, devoting the best years of his life with great energy and enthusiasm to the cause in which he so deeply believed. In 1873 his classmate, Cyrus W. Francis, joined him, working both as teacher and as pastor of the church in the school. Until 1894 Mr. Francis labored here. His ministry was marked by simplicity, earnestness and deep spirituality. His name is held dear in hundreds of Negro homes, for many of the students and graduates were through his influence first brought to the knowledge of the saving Gospel. In 1875 another classmate of the founder entered the- work, Rev. Horace Bumstead. Shortly after the death of Pres. Ware, Dr. Bumstead succeeded to the presidency. With unswerving fortitude he steered this institution true, to its principles of human brotherhood, through seasons of serious criticism and of stormy opposition. Dr. Bumstead retired from the presidency as a recipient of the Carnegie pension in 1907. He will always be remembered as one of the most courageous and consistent advocates of the manhood rights of the Negro race. In 1889 another Yale man, Rev. John H. Hincks, of the class of 1872, entered the work. Of him we speak more in particular elsewhere in this issue. His service, though short was of greatest value, for he brought to his work exceptional scholastic ability, and gave himself to it with the utmost devotion. After a year of study in the Graduate School of Chicago University, Arthur Bumstead, Yale -'05, son of President Horace Bumstead, came to Atlanta University as instructor in Greek and Latin. He also accomplished much in organizing and developing the courses in the study of the Bible. The year 1898-99 Edward T. Ware, Yale '97, the son of the founder, spent as North-ern Secretary of Atlanta University, and in 1901, after his graduation from Union Theological Seminary, became chaplain. Dr. Bumstead, at the time of his resignation, did him the honor to nominate him as his successor, and since 1907 Mr. Ware has been president. Among the Yale men who have served on the Board of Trustees of Atlanta University are Rev. Joseph H. Twichell, Yale '59, the uncle of President Ware, and Mr. Arthur C. Walworth, Yale '60. The latter is now chairman of the Finance Committee. The Yale man last to be elected to the Board is Rev. Henry Sloane Coffin, D.D., who has taken the place made vacant by the sad death of the late President Charles Cuthbert Hall. As it were in appreciation of this close relation between Yale University and one of the first colleges for Negroes in the South, Yale men have felt a peculiar interest in the welfare of Atlanta University, and each year their gifts for its maintenance have contributed much to the success of the work. Yale has given of her sons that Atlanta University might be strong; of her means that Atlanta might be prospered. As the years progress may not this bond grow stronger? The motto of Atlanta University is a translation of the motto of the Yale class of 1863, "I'll find a way or make one." Nothing but this Yale spirit has kept this institution steadfast in its purpose during the time of testing when confronted by skepticism and even opposition. It is now no longer an experiment. Forty years and the record of its graduates, have proved the wisdom and worth of the work. Will not the Yale men rally to its support? City Mission Work for Negroes On Wednesday evening, December 15, Rev. John Little gave in Ware Memorial Chapel a lecture descriptive of his mission work for the Negroes in Louisville, Kentucky, illustrated with a most interesting series of stereopticon slides. This was started ten years ago with twenty-three pupils and six teachers. Today seven hundred pupils living on sixty different streets are in regular attendance at the Sunday schools of the mission, and Mr. Little is assisted by as many as fifty teachers. This work is carried on under the auspices of the Southern Presbyterian Church and is of peculiar interest and importance because it is conducted solely by Southern white people and supported largely by local contributions. It includes preaching services Sunday schools, sewing schools, cooking schools and carpenter shops. We were all moved by the simple earnestness of the speaker and the evident devotion with which he is laboring for the most destitute of the colored people in his great city. He found in the Atlanta University students an interested and responsive audience. We wish him Godspeed in his noble work. Visit of the Director of the Census On Monday evening, Dec. 20, Atlanta University was honored by a visit from Dr. E. Dana Durand, the Director of the United States Census, and Dr. Jesse Jones, of Hampton Institute, who is assisting in the work of the census. The audience, composed chiefly of Atlanta students, gathered in the chapel and listened to Dr. Durand as he explained the great importance of the coming census and sought to enlist the co-operation of all in gaining an accurate record. He described the method by which this great task is acomplished and the machinery by which the results are tabulated at the central office in Washington. Dr. Jones emphasized the tremendous importance of the census to the colored race. He called attention to the worldwide struggle between the different races. "In no place," said he "do colored and white meet under so favorable and yet so irritating conditions as in this country. The whole world is looking to us as a nation and saying, 'What of the colored race in the Southern States? what of their progress?' and any news from here excites the interest of men the whole world over."
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1909 no. 195|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friend and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is December 1909, no. 195.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|