The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
The Buildings and Grounds As teachers and students have returned to their work this fall, they have not found, as in each of the past two years, a new building added to the equipment of the institution. But some changes have been and are being made, to add to the beauty and usefulness of what we already have. Most' appreciated, probably, are the changes in the girls' dormitory, where the wooden beds that have done service for so many years, to the extent of being largely past their usefulness, have been partially replaced by single iron beds. Other furniture has been repaired and materially improved in appearance, the woodwork in the girls' rooms has been painted, the walls whitwashed as usual; the girls' parlor has been painted and papered ; and altogether there has been a marked gain in the comfort and pleasure of the students in that dormitory. In the boys dormitory a gradual change from wooden to single iron beds has been going on for several years, mainly through the individual gifts of a few interested teachers. This change has now been made complete, the whole house being now furnished with iron beds. The dormitory accommodations have received a needed increase by making into six rooms what was formerly the upper school room, more recently the Y. M. C. A. and Ware Lyceum room. In the Knowles Industrial Building Mr. Howe has been working out the problem of heating by steam instead of by stoves as formerly, using the exhaust steam from the boiler. In this he has had good success, our engine and boiler in that building now furnishing heat as well as power. In the Carnegie Library Building the picture room is being fitted up for use, more shelves have been placed in the reference room, and the book stacks have been moved from the old library room in Stone Hall to the basement rooms that are set apart for unpacking and for traveling libraries. President Bumstead's home has been purchased by the institution and extensive repairs are being made upon it, preparatory to its occupancy by the family of our chaplain, Mr. Ware. The appearance of our campus has been materially improved by carefully trimming the trees. The walk in front of South Hall has been somewhat narrowed, and a concrete gutter is being constructed on its north side. Other improvements are in mind, especially in our barn and upon our grounds. As is necessarily the case when the work is so largely done by busy students, we cannot accomplish results rapidly. But by keeping steadily busy, we hope to accomplish something worthy of being noted in these columns later. Library Notes The work of the Atlanta University Library is beginning auspiciously in our new and beautiful building, and it is hoped that much maybe accomplished during the year toward systematizing the several departments. In the old quarters this was impossible for many reasons. Work on the card catalog will be continued, and a shelf list of the books is being made. There are already indications that the reference room will be used more this year than formerly, and additional cases are being placed on the west side of the room. A bulletin board has been purchased for the main room, and the picture room, which was not fitted up last year, is now being equipped for the hanging of pictures upon its walls. We have been watching with much interest to see what punishment would be inflicted upon the rioters who disgraced Atlanta by their murderous crimes Sept. 22-25. As far as we have observed, only one white man has received a punishment more severe than thirty days in the stockade. In this one instance a fine of three hundred dollars was imposed. Of the colored men arrested under the charge of killing a policeman, in connection with the attack of the mob upon the colored settlement of Brownville in South Atlanta, one has been sentenced to imprisonment for life, and about twenty others are awaiting trial under the same charge. Our New Teachers We welcome to our work, to take the place of some who have resigned, a number of new teachers. Mr. Alexander S. Huth comes from West Springfield, Mass., to be superintendent of buildings and grounds. He has the equipment of an experience which has given him direct preparation for this work, as well as a special educational training in agriculture and horticulture in his native city, Frankfort-on-the-Main, before coming to this country. Miss Isadore M. Caughey of Conneaut, Ohio, becomes matron of the dining room. She has held similar positions before in a number of Southern institutions, and therefore has an experience admirably qnalifying her for the work. Miss Margaret Smith of Newton, Mass., takes charge of North Hall as preceptress. Her experience in institution work, and her study of nursing, form special qualifications for her work in caring for our boarding girls. Miss Helen P. Foster of Beverly, Mass., becomes instructor in Latin. She graduated from Mount Holyoke College in 1906, with an exceptionally good record in scholarship in the subjects which she is here assigned to teach. Miss Carrie B. King, of our college class of 1905, and an exceptionally fine student while here, leaves her work at the Lamson School, Marshallville, to assist in the classical and mathematical departments. At the Oglethorpe School we have added two assistants, appointing Miss Janie B. Cunningham and Miss Nannie L. Nichols, of our last year's normal class, to the work. Rev. Frederick B. Bridgman, born of missionary parents in Natal, South Africa, and now a missionary in the land of his birth, was a welcome guest Nov. 3 and 4. He addressed the school Sunday night, explaining the race problems in South Africa, their causes and their seriousness. The address was intensely interesting to us here, giving a vivid appreciation of the fact that these problems are not of the southern states of this country alone, but widely extended over the world. Number 167 Atlanta, Georgia November, 1906
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1906 no. 167|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friend and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is November 1906, no. 167.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|