The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 113. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. NOVEMBER, 1900. (Thirty-second Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 382 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000, With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bums lead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga, On The Campus Pros. Homer T. Fuller, of Drury College, Mo., paid us a flying visit just before the opening of our school year. The students have come, this year, from an unusually wide area, more states being represented than any previous year since the dropping of the grades in 1894. The sermon Oct. 14 was by Prof. Murray of Gammon Theological Seminary; Oct. 21 and Oct. 28 by Rev. Martin Post, who has returned to Atlanta after a summer spent, with his family, in New York city. Pres. Bumstead was one of the speakers at the annual meeting of the American Missionary Association in Springfield, Mass., Oct. 23-25. His theme was, The Higher Education of the Negro. His treatment of the subject was most effective, and highly commended. Two fellowships have been established by vote of the trustees, open to our college graduates who are pursuing resident study leading to the degree of A. M. Holders of these fellowships will be expected to assis t in teaching a part of the time. The remuneration they will receive, although not large, will be sufficient to guarantee them self-support during the school year. There have been added to our list of secondary schools whose graduates have entered this year, since our last issue, Haines Normal and Industrial Institute in Augusta, and the Prairie View State Normal School at Prairie View,Texas. We now have eight new members of the Freshman class, and four of the Senior Normal class, in each case an unprecedented number, who have entered, on trial, by certificate from secondary schools. News of our Graduates '80—An article by Robert L. Smith, The Elevation of Negro Farm Life, with very favorable editorial comment upon it, appeared in the New York Independent of Aug. 30. '82—Mrs. Anna B. (Powers) Bond has for the past three or four years been the teacher of sewing at Wil-berforce University, Xenia, Ohio. '85—Mr. Moses J. Johnson is now in Langston, Oklahoma, as vice-president of the Territorial Normal for colored youth. '93—The paper presented before our annual conference May 23, written by Col. H.M.Porter,attorney-at-law in Augusta, appears in full in the issue of the Georgia Baptist of Oct. 11. '94—Mr. George A. Towns was graduated from Harvard University in June with honor, receiving honorable mention twice in Philosophy, and his diploma cum laude. As noticed in our previous issue, he has returned to teach here again as Professor of Pedagogy. '94—Prof. Benj. F. Allen is now the vice-president of Lincoln Institute, Jefferson City, Mo., having charge especially of the departments of Pedagogy. History and Modern Language. In August he was, by appointment of the State Board of Education, conductor of the Cole County teachers' institute. '95—Miss Mattie F. Childs is now teaching in the Haines Institute, Augusta. '95—Prof. Wm, D. Thomas of the State Normal School, Frankfort, Ky., was married Aug. 29, at Henderson, Ky., to Miss Edwina French Kennedy of that place. '99—Mr. Geo. F. Porter has become Principal of the Normal Department in Edward Waters College, Jacksonville, Fla.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1900 no. 113|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is November 1900, no. 113.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with specific object file name.|