The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 122. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. NOVEMBER, 1901. (Thirty-third Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board . of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the col-lege and normal courses 412 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11, 000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus The beginnings of the year, in respect to weather, have been remarkably fine. There was no oppressive heat at the opening, and nature has been at her best so far this season. Rev. Edward T. Ware, after being with us five Sundays, left for Cleveland, Ohio, Nov. 7. He will speak in that city, and in various cities in Pennsylvania and New York, until Christmas, in behalf of this institution. Hon. Robert L. Smith of Oakland, Texas, passed through our city Oct. 21, on his way to New York. He is now, in company with President Bumstead, speaking in behalf of this institution in various churches within and near New York City. It was the privilege of Pres. Bumstead, in October, to attend, and speak at, the meeting of the National Congregational Council at Portland, Maine, and to attend the Yale Bicentennial. Further reference to both of these will be found on our second and third pages. The two new recitation rooms in Stone Hall, which were not ready at the opening of the session, are now in use, and are proving very helpful in our school work. Apparently no more will be needed for some time, but, when they are necessary, we see no way to meet the call except by the erection of a new building. The foot ball team has lost over half of its players of last year, but has good material. The season is short, the third and last game being scheduled for Nov. 23. The first two games were both close and interesting, and were won by our team, which defeated the Atlanta Baptist College 5 to 0, and Clark University 11 to 0. One very encouraging feature in our work this year is the large number of boarding boys in South Hall. It is decidedly in advance of any previous year since we had the grammar grades, and even in advance of the last years when we had these grades. This fact, and the marked increase in the number of college students, make us enter upon the work of the present year with renewed courage. New of our Graduates '84—Rev. John W. Whitaker, for a number of years pastor of the Congregational church in Savannah, has resigned, that he may assist Principal Washington in his work at Tuskegee. '85—Rev. L. B. Maxwell, who has been ill at,, his home in Decatur during the summer, has gone to California in company with Mrs. Maxwell ('86), for the sake of his health. '91—Rev Silas X. Floyd delivered an admirable address at the Ga, State Industrial College, before the Y. M. C.A., during their commencement week in June, on the Gospel of Service. '94—Mrs. Anna S. Ingraham is temporarily assisting Mrs. Anna W. Richardson ('85), principal of Lamson School, Marshallville, who is ill. '97—Miss Alice B. Clithrall, for a num-ber of years a teacher in the Columbus public schools, is now in one of the Atlanta public schools. '98—Miss Rosa M. Weaver is now teaching in her home at Tuscaloosa, Ala., instead of in Birmingham as last year; and Miss Mamie E. Hamilton has become a teacher in Knox Institute, at Athens. '99—Miss Addie E. Lee is teaching in one of the Atlanta public schools. '01—Of the college class, Miss Mary R. Greenwood has a position in the Atlanta public schools; Miss Ada Hawes is teaching in the Fla. State College at Tallahassee; Miss Mary F. Monroe is a teacher in Jeruel Academy, Athens; John W. Kinney is in charge of the industrial work at Haines Institute, Augusta; Peter H. Williams teaches in the High Point Normal and Industrial Institute, High Point, N. C.; Miss Daisy C. Hayes is not permanently employed, but assisted us temporarily here during the opening days of the school year. Dr. Henry B. Hodge, who was a member of our Freshman class in 1894, and who graduated at the Leonard Medical School in Shaw University in 1898, died suddenly in Gainesville. Fla., Nov. 15, 1900. He had entered upon the practice of medicine at that place.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1901 no. 122|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is November 1901, no. 122.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|