The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
(Thirty-second Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 382 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. The concert under the auspices of the athletic association, the night of March 18, was very excellent. Diligence in practice, preparatory to the intercollegiate base ball season, is now the order of the day upon our athletic field. On account of the illness of Miss Smith and Miss Dean, Miss Ellis is in temporary charge at the Model Home. We are glad to say that both of the sick teachers are improving. Our Southern Secretary, R. L. Smith of Oakland, Texas, was one of the speakers at Principal Washington's great meeting at New York in the interest of Tuskegee Institute, March 18. Rev. Pitt Dillingham, one of the principals of the Calhoun Colored School at Calhoun, Lowndes Co., Ala., was a guest whom we were glad to have with us, and to hear, March 20 and 21. Among our visitors during March were Miss F. Henrietta Mueller of Don-don, Mrs. and Miss Sargent of West Boylston, Mass., Mr. and Mrs O. V. Tracy of Syracuse, N. Y., and Hon. and Mrs. J. M. Allen of Hartford, Conn. Our preachers during March were Pres. Melden of Clark University, Professors Bowen, Murray and Townsend of Gammon Theological Seminary, and Rev. W. W. Lucas, secretary of the Stewart Foundation for Africa at Gammon Seminary. The spring vacation is a short one, being in reality only one day, Friday, this year March 15. Yet the mere thought that we have from Thursday until Monday is a welcome break in the regularity of school work,especially as it is the last day of relaxation before Commencement week. The Saturday night talks during March were, one by Prof. E. H. Webster on Liquid Carbon Di-Oxide, and one by Mr. W. D. Smith on Trees of Georgia. Prof. Webster illustrated his talk by varied and interesting experiments. Mr. Smith showed samples of various woods, gave statistics concerning the value of Georgia trees, and explained the arts of transplanting and grafting. News of our Graduates. The Atlanta University Club in Jacksonville, Fla., to which we have previously referred, has made its existence gratefully appreciated in that city by its "Dunbar Recital", March 21. Extracts from an account of this recital appear on the last page of this issue. The energy of our Jacksonville representatives is much to be commended. '80—William C. Green is now principal of the public school in Brunswick. '91—Rev. Silas X. Floyd has recently become missionary and representative of the American Baptist Publication Society for Georgia and Alabama. His special work will be, to conduct Sunday School institutes, to lecture and preach, and to act as organizer for better Sunday School work. Mr. Floyd's previous experience, as assistant field secretary of the International Sunday School Convention, and pastor of the Tabernacle Baptist church in Augusta, qualify him admirably for this work. '94—Miss Mamie L. Williams is now teaching in the same institution as her sister, Miss Gertrude Williams COO), the High and Industrial School at Fort Valley. '94—The State Board of Education of Missouri has appointed Prof. B. F. Allen, of Lincoln Institute, the chairman of a committee of five whose duty it is to arrange a course of study, etc., for the colored teachers' institutes in that -state for the present year. '95—Mrs. Willie A. (Dennis) Weeks is now a kindergarten teacher in Columbus. '98—Miss S. Fannie Wingfield is now teaching in the public school at Marietta. '98—Miss Bessie B. Taylor is in government service in the census bureau, in Washington. '99—Miss Alberta T. Badger is teaching in the A. M. A. school at Orange Park, Fla; Miss Susie M. Simpson at Tuscaloosa; and Miss Meddie M. Nichols at Newnan. '00—Miss India A. Wilkes is teaching at Milledgeville. NUMBER 118. - ATLANTA, GEORGIA. APRIL, 1901.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1900 no. 118|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is April 1901, no. 118.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|