The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 117. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. MARCH, 1901. (Thirty-second Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the col-lege and normal courses 382 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On the Campus Professors E. H. Webster and W. E.B. DuBois have recently been elected members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. The news that Mrs. Bumstead has steadily improved the past month, with every prospect of a continued gain in health and strength, has been a delight to us all. During the month of February we have had sermons from Professors Bow-en. Parks and Murray of Gammon Theological Seminary, and from Bishop W. J. Gaines of the A. M. E. Church. The usual Washington's birthday sociable was this year held the night of Feb. 21, on account of Mr. Chesnutt's reading the night of the 22nd. Many day pupils were present, as well as boarders, and the signs of a good time were unmistakably evident. Among our February visitors were Rev. Albert Loughbridge, D. D., president of Bishop College, Marshall, Texas ; Rev. Dr. C. F. Meserve, president of Shaw University, Raleigh, N. C; and Rev. S. H. Emery, formerly from Maine, now of Southern Pines, N. C. The public rhetorical exercise Feb. 15 was, on its musical side, "Mendelssohn night". One of the essays was upon the life of this great composer, and all the musical selections, both vocal and instrumental, except one, were taken from his works. Miss Ellis gave an account of her summer trip to Europe the night of Feb. 23. Her sketch of cities, buildings and scenery was most entertaining, and was illustrated by views shown by our oxy-hydrogen lamp, under the management of Prof. Webster. The talk before the boarding students the night of Feb. 9 was by Prof. W. B. Matthews ('90), principal of the Gate City public grammar school of this city, a school enrolling over 1100 pupils. It was a very interesting and practical talk upon the history and working of the Atlanta public school system. On awakening the morning of Feb. 23, we saw upon the ground about five inches of snow. To some of us it was an old friend, reminding us of earlier days farther north; while to others—reminding us of the extremes in this one country—it was an entirely new sight. By the night of the next day, it had mostly disappeared. Mr. Charles W. Chesnutt of Cleveland, Ohio, the well known Negro story writer, visited us on his return from attending the Tuskegee Conference. Mr. Chesnutt read Friday night, Feb. 22, before the Atlanta Kindergarten Association in the First Congregational Church, on which occasion many of our students were present. The following night he read to the boarding students in our chapel. A reception was given in his honor at North Hall Saturday after-noon, at which there were present representatives of all the other higher institutions of learning in Atlanta. News of our Graduates Prof. George A. Towns ('94) of this Institution gave the address at the Atlanta celebration of Lincoln's birthday, Feb. 12, and Col. Henry M. Porter ('93) spoke at a similar celebration in Augusta. '82— Mrs. Georgia B. (Mitchell) Clark is teaching in a kindergarten at Rome. '83—Prof. Oswell A. Combs of Morris Brown College was married in this city, Feb. 20, at the residence of Bishop Turner, to Miss Alberta F. McAlpine. They are now at home at 163 North Boulevard. '90—Mrs, Martha L. (Williams) Logan is a teacher at the Ballard Normal School in Macon. '95—Miss Georgia L. Palmer, for several years a teacher in the Walker Baptist Institute at Augusta, was married in Augusta Dec. 26 to Rev. Johnson Francis Blair, pastor of a Presbyterian church in White Plains, N. Y. '96—Miss Savannah Sorrell is a teacher at Knox Institute, Athens. '97—Miss Annie M. Brown is now a member of the faculty of Knox Institute in Athens. '99—Miss Julia O. Wright is secretary to her father, Pres. R. R. Wright ('76), of the Ga. State Industrial College at Savannah.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1901 no. 117|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is March 1901, no. 117.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with specific object file name.|