The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
(Thirty-second Year) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations . are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 382 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the. educational advancement of the South. .. . Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D.D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus The students were addressed Saturday night, Dec. 8, by Prof. DuBois, upon the French Revolution. A sociable was given by the Athletic Association in the chapel the night of the foot ball game with Tuskegee, Dec. 15, in honor especially of the visiting team. Dr. Arthur Bumstead, who taught Greek and Biblical Literature in Atlanta University for, two years, has accepted an appointment as teacher of classics in Mercersburg Academy, Mercersburg, Pa. We wish him much success in his new position. Tbe third and last of the match foot ball games of the season was played at Brisbine Park, in this city, Dec. 15, with Tuskegee Institute, and resulted in our favor by a score of 17 to 12 . The game was very spirited and closely contested throughout, the two teams alternatirig in making touch downs. This closes a very successful season, all games having been won by Atlanta University. The total number of players actually participating in the three match games was fourteen, as follows: Butler, Hill (Capt), McDew, Robinson, Westmoreland ('03); Anderson ('04); Marcus, Mitchell, Phillips, Wright(S.P.); Thornton, Westmoreland (M.P.);Curry, McDew(J.P.). On October 13,the Atlanta University Club of Jacksonville, Fla., was organized with the following officers:—President, Geo. P. Porter('99); Vice President, J. W. Johns6n('91); Recording Secretary, Mrs. Emma (Trowbridge) Hart ('89non-graduate) ; Corresponding Secretary, W.. F. Jackson ('77); Treasurer, Mrs. Emma (Emerson) Davis ('89 non-graduate). The Executive Committee is composed of the President, Vice-President, Recording Secretary, W. H. Styles ('90 non-graduate), and Miss Sarah H. Blocker ('86 non-graduate). The club has an enrollment of more than twenty, It plans to advertise Atlanta University throughout Florida. The organization hopes to extend its membership to the, graduates and non-graduates in all parts of the state, and in that way keep alive in them a wholesome, vigorous A. U. spirit. News of our Graduates '78—Artaway J. Tabb is at present a teacher in Chattanooga, Tenn., and is chairman of the, teachers' institute com-mittee in that place. '83—Mrs. Janie A. (Brown) Garnett of Brunswick edits the column, "Woman's Dominion," in the Baptist Truth. '89—Dr. S.P. Lloyd of Savannah spent considerable time at the hospitals in Boston this summer, taking special courses adapted to making him more thorough in the practice of his profession. '90—Rev. F. G. Snelson has become pastor of the Bethel A. M. E. Church, San Francisco, Cal. '90—Miss Minnie L. Perry died of typhoid fever, in this city, Aug. 22, 1900. For several years she was one of the public school teachers in this county, having charge of the school connected with the Carrie Steele Orphanage. Miss Perry was an excellent student while in this insti-. tution, a faithful and successful teacher since her graduation, and an earnest member of the Bethel A. M. E. Church of this city. '93—Miss Rosa C. Garner, for several years a public school teacher in this city, was married at her home in Atlanta, Aug. 29, 1900, to William O. Smith, a merchant of this city. '94—James W. Johnson spent a large part of last summer in New York city. In company with his brother Rosamond, he is doing considerable work in the line of musical composition, both in words and music. '99—Miss Addie E. Lee is teaching music in Knox Institute, the position formerly held by Miss A. R. Howard ('98). '00—Miss Katie G. Livingston was married at her home in Athens, December 15, to Edward Y. Sapp of that city. '00—Miss Nettie P. Delmore is teaching in the Howard Normal School,Cuth-bert; Miss India A. Wilkes in Milledge-ville; and Miss Gertrude Williams teaches sewing at the Fort Valley High and Industrial School, Fort Valley, Georgia. NUMBER 115. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. JANUARY, 1901.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1901 no. 115|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is January 1901, no. 115.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact email@example.com with specific object file name.|