The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
(Thirty-second Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by ihis Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 412 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D.D., Atlanta, GA News of our Graduates '76—We have received from Geo. W. F. Phillips an interesting sketch of his work since leaving school. After teaching for some years, mainly in Americus, Andersonville and Lumber City, and then being in business in Americus, he served as pastor in Brunswick and Lumber City. He has now returned to school work, teaching at Ellaville, and doing Sunday School and Y. M. C. A. work at his home in Americus on Sundays. '83—Mrs. Dinah P. (Watts) Pace has published the first number of a little sheet called The Helping Hand, concerning her work in the Reed Home and School in Covington. This excellent work of Mrs Pace, caring for and teaching needy orphans, has now been a blessing to her community for seventeen years. '89—Horace H. Lomax, both of whose college classmates, S. P. Lloyd and P. M. Edwards, are physicians, has become a medical student in Leonard Medical College, Shaw University,Raleigh, N.C. '91—Rev. Silas X. Floyd and Mrs.Ella James, both of Augusta, were married at that place May 6. '94—The leading article of The Colored American for May 25 is entitled A Western Educator, and is a sketch, with a cut, of Benjamin F. Allen, A. M.,Vice President of Lincoln Institute, Jefferson City, Mo. '94—Prof. J. W. Johnson of Jacksonville was elected president of the Florida State Teachers' Association, at their meeting in Palatka April 23-25. His paper on The College-Bred Negro was excellent. '99—The following extract is from an article by the Rev. Geo. V. Clark of Charleston, S. C, in the Joseph K. Brick News, concerning colored business men in Charleston; Messrs. Seabrooke and Porter run a thriving shoe store. They, too, employ help. They handle from $4,000 to $8,000 annually. The gross receipts the first year were $8,000 at least. They began with a capital of $1,000, Oct. 21, 1899. Their place of business, 47 King St., is proving to be too small. These young men are Christians and are college class-mates of the class of 1899 of Atlanta University, Atlanta, Ga. None stand higher socially, intellectually, and religiously than they. Commencement Week The weather this year was so cool that we had steam heat three mornings, the last being Wednesday morning, May 29, The exercises were very excellent, and three times the crowd was larger than could possibly be accommodated in our chapel; baccalaureate Sunday, class night, and Commencement day. The other exercises were also well attended. Phi Kappa Anniversary. The annual address Friday night was given by President James M.Henderson, D. D., of Morris Brown College. As is always the case, he showed himself a finished and eloquent orator in his handling of the theme, Our Leaders. Baccalaureate Sermon, Rev. Dr. William R. Richards, of Plainfield, N. J., preached upon the text John xxi: 15. The discourse made a deep impression, and we wish we had the space to print it in full. A part of it is found in another column. Class Exercises. These were held Monday night, and the friends of the graduates and of the school were present in large numbers. The closing exercise of the evening, a pantomime, by eight young ladies of the normal class, was remarkably charming, and the audience could not be satisfied without its repetition. Sixth Atlanta Conference, and Alumni Meeting. These are fully reported elsewhere. Commencement Exercises. The college class of six, and seven of the twenty-four normal graduates, had parts on the program. The highest appointments in the college class were assigned respectively to Ada Hawes, who graduated " With Highest Honor, " and to Daisy Cornelia Hayes, who graduated" With High Honor. " Mary Ruth Greenwood and Peter Henry Williams graduated " With Honor. " The highest appointments in the normal class went to Ida N. Hawes and M. Martha Daniels. Announcement was also made that Emma Ellen White, of the sophomore class, had a rank " With Honor." The commencement address was given by Rev. Dr. C. Cuthbert Hall, president of Union Theological Seminary, New York City. It was upon the theme, Moral Elements of Leadership. Dr. Hall took [Continued on second page.]
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1900 no. 120|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is June 1901, no. 120.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|