The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
(Thirty-third Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY, The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 412 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga, On the Campus At the public rhetorical exercise, Feb. 14, all of the musical numbers, but one, were from the compositions of Mozart. One of the essays gave a sketch of his life. Bisbop Wesley J. Gaines addressed our students in a very interesting manner Feb. 8, upon his travels in Europe. Mr. Ware and Miss Clifford gave an account of the Tuskegee Conference Feb. 22. The University Glee Club, composed of twelve of our young men, is in considerable demand in the city, having even more calls than they can easily meet. Their singing is much liked wherever they appear. The Georgia, Summer School will begin its second session June 4, and continue for four weeks. It will be held at the same place as last year, Clark University. Professors Webster and Towns of this institution will again serve in the faculty. President Bumstead's address before the National Congregational -Council last October, upon the subject, The Right Use of Wealth, appears in full in the published minutes of the council, and is also printed separately in pamphlet form. Extracts from it appeared in our November issue. The March number of the Scroll has contributed articles by Prof. Chase, on Division of Public School Money between the Races, by Miss Ellis, on The Christian Endeavor Society in Atlanta University, and Mrs. Florence Johnson Hunt ('89), on The Missionary Side of the Professions. The article by Miss Ellis sketches briefly the work of the Christian Endeavor society since its formation in 1890. The cover of the Scroll deserves commendation, with its " crimson and gray, " the colors of the institution. '91—Rev. Silas X. Floyd is to be one of the speakers at the National Baptist Anniversary at St. Paul, Minn., May 28, and also before the International Sunday School Convention at Denver, Col., June 26. News of our Graduates. '88—Capt. J. T. Grant is now a clerk in the Atlanta postoffice. '88—William C. McLester, for several years principal of a public school in Sanford, Fla., is now at the head of the agricultural department in the Georgia State Industrial College, of which R. R. Wright ('76) is the president. '86—Mrs.Mary E. (Badger) Cummings is now teaching in the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute. '99—Miss Josie L. Sorrell is teaching in a school of the American Missionary Association at Cotton Valley, Ala. We notice that Mrs. Adella II. Logan CHI) is the Director the school for the colored teachers of Florida, to be held at the Florida State Normal and Industrial School, Tallahassee, March 17 to May 16. This school is supported by the Peabody Fund, and under the management of State Superintendent W. N. Sheats. Miss Ada Hawes ('01) is also to be one of the teachers of this school. In correction of a mistaken report in the last issue of the Bulletin, we print the following statement of service in the army of the student from whose essay we quoted an account of the storming of El Viso. He served more than eight years. He was appointed corporal eight months after entering the service and was promoted through the various grades of non-commissioned officer to battalion sergeant-major during that time. He was quartermaster sergeant of Company IT, 25th Infantry, during the Spanish-American war. He was appointed second lieutenant of the 8th U. S. Volunteer Infantry just after the battle at Santiago. He served in this regiment six months, and was mustered out as first lieutenant. Again he entered the 25th Regulars and was made battalion sergeant-major. This regiment went to the Philippines in 1899, when he was again appointed a second lieutenant in the 49th U. S. Volunteer Infantry, in which he served nearly two years as second and as first lieutenant, being mustered out in June 1901 as a first lieutenant. NUMBER 126. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. MARCH, 1902.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1902 no. 126|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is March 1902, no. 126.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|