The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
(Thirty-second Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 382 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. Prof. DuBois gave a sketch of the history of Paris, and of the great exposition there in 1900, the night of Jan. 25. The Phi Kappa Society held its annual emancipation exercises the night of Jan. 1, in Ware Memorial Chapel. The week of prayer was observed by nightly meetings in the prayer meeting room, conducted by different teachers. It was a helpful series of services. President Bumstead spent Jan. 15-19 in Savannah, where he met many graduates and visited a number of schools. He was entertained at the Ga. State Industrial College, of which R. R. Wright ('76) is the president. Mrs. Mary E. (Badger) Cummings ('86) gave a most interesting account of the Galveston disaster on the night of Jan. l1. Mrs. Cummings had made that place her home for many years, until after that terrible experience. Since then she has resided with her father in Atlanta. President Bumstead was obliged to hasten to Boston, after his Savannah trip, earlier than he had planned, on account of the illness of Mrs. Bumstead. An operation for appendicitis proved necessary, which was successfully performed, and Mrs Bumstead's condition has steadily improved since the operation. A reception was given in the Model Home the night of Jan. 14, to graduates living in Atlanta, with their husbands and wives. The whole building was open to inspection, simple refreshments were served, and this opportunity for the graduates to meet President Bumstead, the teachers and the senior classes was evidently much enjoyed. Rev. Geo. V. Clark, of Charleston, S. C., gave the address upon the day of prayer for colleges, He remained with us a few days, conducting other meetings here, and also some services at the First Congregational Church and the Storrs School in this city. A large number expressed a deep interest in religious things, as a result of his meetings here. Mr. Clark was a student in this institution the year it was first opened. NUMBER 116. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. FEBRUARY, 1901. News of our Graduates As is always the case, a number of our graduates acted as emancipation orators Jan. 1. Rev. L. B. Maxwell ('85) spoke in Atlanta, A. L. Tucker, Esq. ('84), in Savannah, Prof. W. H. Crog-man ('76) in Newnan, President R. R. Wright ('76) in Monroe, and doubtless others also whose names we have not noticed. '81—Benjamin P. Hartwell is teaching in Ocala, Fla., and prominent in educational work in that state, '83—William C. McLester of Sanford, Fla., is chairman of the executive committee of the teachers' association in that state. '85—Rev. L. B. Maxwell delivered the annual address for the Atlanta Historical Society Jan. 1, 1901. '88—Miss Candace E. McGhee is a teacher in the Storrs School in this city. '91—Dr. L. B. Palmer, who graduated in 1899 from the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania, and has been until recently engaged in both hospital and private practice in Chicago, has located in Atlanta. '91—Rev. S. X. Floyd has resigned the pastorate of the Tabernacle Baptist Church in Augusta, and is now in Jacksonville, Fla., for a few weeks. He will enter again the work of the International Sunday School Union, in which he was engaged before his Augusta pastorate. '99—Miss Meddie M. Nichols is teaching one of the public schools at New-nan, Ga. '00—E. L. Simon is now in the same school as his classmate, H. N. Lee, having charge of the printing department of Le Moyne Institute at Memphis, Tenn. '00—Miss Susie E. Carter is teaching in the West Broad Street School at Athens ; Miss Mollie A. Budget in Clark county near Athens; Miss Buenos A. Jones at Sycorax; Miss Blanche C Decatur at Duluth ; Miss Lucy B. Lewis at Newell, Ala.; while Misses Alice C. Oglesby and S. Madora Watts have positions as supernumeraries in the Atlanta city schools.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1901 no. 116|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is February 1901, no. 116.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|