The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
(Thirty-third Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the col lege and normal courses 412 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. News of our Graduates. '79—Rev. E. P. Johnson gave the address on the day of prayer for colleges, Jan. 20, in Atlanta University. It was an earnest and helpful appeal to our students, and bore immediate fruit in the resolves of many. '83—Capt. John T. Grant, who returned last summer from his service in the Philippine Islands, has been ill with malarial fever, contracted from exposure in his army service. '87—Rev. A. L. Gaines, D. D., presiding elder in the A. M. E. Church, is managing editor of the Intermediate Re-corder, a religious paper published in Norfolk, Va. '90—Wm. B. Matthews, principal of the Gate City public school in this city, has been elected president of the Atlanta colored Y. M. C. A. for the year 1902. Prof. Matthews has been an active member and officer in the association, and is admirably equipped for his duties as president. '91—The N. Y. Independent of Jan. 16, has an interesting article by Rev. S. X. Floyd, of Augusta, on the subject, The Georgia School Fund. It shows the injustice of the proposed—and happily defeated—plan of dividing the state educational fund between the races in proportion to their direct taxes. '92—Miss M. Agnes Boswell, a teacher in one of our public schools, lost her home by fire December 29. '94—John DeB. Jackson is at present teaching in Monroe, Ga. '94—J. W. Johnson has now resumed his work as principal in a public school in Jacksonville, a new building having been erected in place of the old, which was destroyed in the great fire. '93—H. M. Porter of Augusta recently appeared in a case before the supreme court of this state, being the only lawyer on his side, and obtained from that body a reversal of the decision of the lower court. '00—Wm. G. Westmoreland passed with the highest rank, in the recent civil service examination in Atlanta, and as a result has received an appointment in the city postal service. '94 and'00—Misses Mamie and Gertrude Williams, teachers in the Fort Valley (Ga.) High and Industrial School, were both losers to some extent in the recent fire, which burned the main building of that institution. They escaped with no personal injuries. On the Campus. The Phi Kappa Society had a semi-public meeting, open to teachers and boarding students, the night of Jan. 18. A good program was presented. The leading article in the January Scroll was by Rev. S. X. Floyd (91), being extracts from his address, College Education as a Factor in Success. Arrangements are being made for a track athletic meet, to compete for the silver cup given by Prof. G. F. Porter ('99) of Paul Quinn College. The captain of the track team is I. C. Westmoreland (S. P.). Miss Helen E. Smith, of Gardner, Mass., our new matron, entered upon her work Jan. 21. She is admirably equipped for the position by her experience in similar work in Berea College and in North field Seminary. The two January addresses were given by Professor Murray of Gammon Theological Seminary, and our own Professor Towns. The former spoke upon the theme, Growth of Character, and the latter had as his topic, The Development of Trusts as Illustrated by the Growth of Railroads. We had the pleasure of a visit, Jan. 29 and 30, from Rev. Charles S. Macfar-land, Ph. D., pastor of the Maplewood Cong. church in Maiden, Mass. He addressed the students the night of the 29th upon the subject, The Modern Study of the Bible, and also spoke at devotions the following morning. The leading features of the February issue of the Scroll are articles by Prof. E. H. Webster, from which we make an extended quotation in this issue, by Prof. N. W. Curtright ('96), principal of the Walker Baptist Institute in Augusta, and by one of our senior normal students, Miss Mary L. Hubert. The Scroll maintains a high standard this year. NUMBER 125. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. FEBRUARY, 1902
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1902 no. 125|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is February 1902, no. 125.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|