The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 124. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. JANUARY, 1902. (Thirty-third Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 412 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11, 000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. The Phi Kappa society gave its annual public emancipation exercises in the chapel the night of Jan., 1. At the emancipation exercises in Atlanta, Jan. 1, this institution was represented by a chorus, and by Miss Carrie McHenry ('96), who read an essay appropriate to the occasion. The public rhetorical exercise, Dee. 13, was well attended. In addition to the usual musical numbers, the orations, essays and recitations, there was a presentation of the trial scene from the Merchant of Venice, by members of Sophomore class. A very interesting meeting of the Wheatly Society, open to the teachers and boarding pupils, was held in the girls' gymnasium the night of Dec. 21. There were recitations, essays, three scenes from Macbeth, tableaux, and a good debate. President Bumstead and our teachers gave a reception to graduates of this institution living in Atlanta and vicinity, Thursday night, Dee. 12. It was given at the Model Home, and a most pleasant evening was enjoyed by all "who were present. The preachers in our chapel during the month of December were Pres. Mel-den of Clark University, Bishop W. J. Gaines of the A. M. E. Church, Rev. Geo. Standing of So. Atlanta, and Professors Murray and. Parks of Gammon Theological Seminary. Mr. Ware returned January 6. Rev. F. H. Means, of Windham, Conn., one of our most active trustees, made a Christmas gift to the boarding boys that has been much appreciated. It is a board upon which a large variety of games can be played. The boys' parlor is now more popular than ever. The Scroll for December has as its special attraction a portrait of President Bumstead, and a sketch of his life. It has an article from the pen of Prof. Du-Bois, The Social Training of the Negro, of unusual interest. There are other contributed articles, local notes, etc., the whole making a highly creditable number. News of our Graduates. '88—Dr. Preston M. Edwards, of St.. Joseph, Mo., was married Dec. 18 to Miss Lillian May Webster of that city. Mrs. Adrienne McNeil Herndon, of the class of 1891, our efficient instructor in elocution, is now studying at Dr. Curry's School of Expression in Boston, having leave of absence for four months. '98—Miss Sarah L. Hunt is in charge of the department, Graduate and. Undergraduate Notes, in the Tuskegee Student. Miss Hunt was a Tuskegee graduate, class of 1888, and is rendering efficient service as a teacher in that institution. The Rogers-Harrison wedding was at '6 o'clock, in the First Congregational Church, which was crowded. Many Atlanta University graduates and stndents were prominent. The wedding was followed by a reception at the home of the bride. Of the fourteen residents of Atlanta who signed the memorial to the legislature concerning the proposed division of school funds between the races in proportion to their taxes, two are graduates of this institution, four were students who did not graduate, and one is now a professor here. Within a month there have been five weddings in Atlanta, in which seven of the ten most interested parties were our graduates. They were as follows: Dee. 8, Thomas Reed of Athens and Miss Stella E. White ('96) ; Dec. 18, John B.Greenwood ('86) and Miss Mary E. Brittain ('93) ; Dec 25, Rev. B. H. Moon of Rome and Miss Celia B. Brooks ('96); Dec. 26, William A. Rogers ('99) of Ballard Normal School, Macon, and Miss Georgia E. Harrison ('01) ; and Jan. 2, George Reed of Athens and Miss Mary M. Wright ('97). Rev. Silas X. Floyd ('91) addressed us Saturday night, Dec. 14, upon the subject, College Education as a Factor in Success. His talk was very interesting, and a part of it is published in the January Scroll. It had been arranged that he should preach for us the next day, but he was called home by telegram on account of the serious illness of his mother, who passed away very soon after.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1902 no. 124|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is January 1902, no. 124.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact email@example.com with specific object file name.|