The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 123. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. DECEMBER, 1901. (Thirty-third Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. .. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 412 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. The first public rhetorical exercise of of the year, Nov. 8, was attended by a much larger number than the first exercise of any previous year. The preachers in November were President Melden of Clark University, Professors Bowen and Murray of Clark University, and Rev. Martin Post, The third year normal class is this year so large that it has been necessary, in most subjects, to divide it into two sections, a thing that has never happened before in our history. During the absence of Mr. Ware, our chaplain, the Wednesday night prayer meetings are being conducted in turn by different members of the teaching force. The list of subjects until Jan. 1 has been printed, and the meetings are being well attended and sustained. Rev Martin Post, who for the past three years has rendered much valued service here by preaching for us a considerable portion of the time, has gone to Savannah for the rest of the winter, on account of the health of his family. He is temporarily acting there as pastor of the First Congregational Church, a position left vacant by the recent resignation of J. W. Whitaker ('84). During the month of November there were a number of social gatherings upon our campus. The Claflin team was entertained one night in the boys' building and one night in the Model Home, Mrs. Webster entertained a number of guests from the teaching force in the other schools at Chase Cottage, and the customary Thanksgiving sociable in Ware Chapel was enjoyed by all. There were also other social occasions. William Howard, a member of our Freshman class in 1896, died in New York City, Nov. 15. He was at work with an electric company. He was one of our most excellent young men while here. One of his sisters is now in school, and another, Miss Aletha R. Howard ('98), is teaching at Martin, Fla. At the funeral, which was in Atlanta, in addition to the remarks of his pastor, Rev. H. H. Proctor, Professors Adams and Webster both spoke. News of our Graduates. '73—Mrs. Julia Turner has gone to Covington, that she may assist Mrs. Dinah W. Pace ('83) in the work of the Reed Home and School. '94—John DeB Jackson is now assisting Principal F. A. Curtright ('96) in the Georgia Normal and Industrial Institute at Greensboro. '00—William G. Westmoreland has taken a position as manual training teacher at Kowaliga, Ala. '00—Miss Minnie L. Bell is teaching in the private school of Mrs. Mary E. (Pope) McRae ('80) in Atlanta. '00—Miss Mamie E. D. Johnson takes the place of Miss Addie E. Lee ('99) as teacher of music in Knox Institute, Athens. '01—Of the normal class, Misses Rhelia H. Davis and Nellie E.Porter are teaching in Columbus, Miss Martha Daniels in Savannah, Miss Nettie A. Hutchings at Damson School in Mar-shallville, Miss Bessie M. Simmons in the Albany (Ga.) Normal School, Misses Norma C. T. Horton and Annie M. Walton in Augusta, Miss Ida N. Hawes in Macon, Miss Eva J. Montgomery in Eatonton, Miss Louisa G. Greene at Shady Dale, Miss Lillie A. Porter in Aiken, S. C, Miss Marie L. Turner in Rogersville, Tenn., and Misses Anna M. James, Ida B. Maddox, Callie A. McKin-ley and M. Edwina Taylor in Atlanta. At the twentieth anniversary exercises of Spelman Seminary, both delegates from Tuskegee Institute were graduates of this institution, namely, Mrs. Estella (Crosby) Penney ('78) and Mrs. Adella (Hunt) Logan ('81). At one session it was interesting to note that Atlanta University was represented in the speaking not only by these two, but also by Mrs. Dinah P. (Watts) Pace ('83), and Professors Adams and DuBois. The celebration lasted four days, Nov. 14-17. The paper at the afternoon session, Nov. 15, by Prof. DuBois, ably presented the topic, The Work of Negro Women in Society. Prof. DuBois lectured at the Haines Institute in Augusta, of which Miss Lucy C. Laney ('73) is principal, on Saturday night, November 30.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1901 no. 123|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is December 1901, no. 123.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|