The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 121. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. OCTOBER, 1901. (Thirty-third Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 27 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 412 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, five large brick buildings, library of 11, 000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D.D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. Prof. Thomas N. Chase, our professor of Latin, and Miss Helen E. Walsh, for the past two years matron in the dining room, were married in Chicago, July 11. The thirty third year opens with an unusually large attendance in the higher classes, The number of students Oct. 15 is approximately: College, 50; Preparatory, 70; English High School, 30;.Normal, 140; total, 290. The first Sunday of the school year, at the morning service, Mr. Ware preached his first sermon here upon the topic, Christianity and Life, basing his thought upon Matt. 25: 40 At three o'clock he gave an account of the trip of the quartet during the summer. The number of new students in the college department is in advance of any previous record; ten in the Freshman, three in the Junior, one in the Senior class. There are also additions, on trial, to our fourth year Normal, and third year Normal and Preparatory classes; mostly the graduates of secondary schools, although some are by transfer from other institutions. The trip of the quartet during the summer, in the New England States and New York, was very pleasant and fairly successful. For the greater part of the time Mr. Edward T. Ware acted as manager. During a portion of the trip he was relieved by Prof. Geo. A. Towns. The quartet was composed of P. H. Williams ('01), H. H. Pace ('03), T. L. Anderson ('04) and W. A. Robinson ('05). The secondary schools whose graduates have come to us this year are: Knox Institute and W. Broad St. High School in Athens, Haines Institute in Augusta, Avery Institute in Charleston, S. C, Ballard Normal School in Macon, Beach Institute in Savannah, the Houston (Texas) High School, Lincoln High School in Springfield, Mo., the Albany (Ga.) Normal School, the Eddy High School in Milledgeville, and the Emmanuel High and Training School in Aiken, S. C. By transfer from other institutions we have received pupils from Claflin University, the Ga. State Industrial College, Morris Brown College and Spelman Seminary. News of our Graduates. '76—Rev. E. J. Penney, chaplain of Tuskegee Institute, preached the baccalaureate sermon at Livingstone College, Salisbury, N. C, May 26. '91—W. O. Murphy of Atlanta was a delegate to the meeting of the National Negro Business League, held in Chicago in August, and presented a paper on The Grocery Business. '94—Benj. F. Allen, for seven years a professor in Lincoln Institute, Jefferson City, Mo., and the latter part of the time also vice president, has accepted the professorship of English and pedagogy in the Georgia State Industrial College at Savannah. '94—Miss Mattie B. Armand of Augusta was married Sept. 4, in Augusta, to Mr. Jones of New York city. Her home will be in New York. '94—Pres. N. W. Collier of the Florida Baptist College, Jacksonville, has given to our athletic team a hose attachment, for shower bath purposes in the bath room. '99—Wm. J. Decatur, for the past two years an assistant in the industrial department at Tougaloo University, assumes the charge this year of the industrial department in Talladega College. '99—George F. Porter has accepted the professorship of mathematics in Paul Quinn College, Waco, Texas. Edward Waters College in Jacksonville, in which he was principal of the normal department last year, was burned in the great fire last spring, and has not as yet been rebuilt. Prof. Porter has given a silver cup to our athletic association, to be an object of competition in track athletics this present school year. '97—Miss Nellie H. McNair has taken a position in the Albany (Ga.) Normal School. '98—Miss Aletha R. Howard, after a year of study at Oberlin, is now teaching in Fessenden Academy, Martin, Fla.; and Miss Rosa M. Weaver teaches this year in her home in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1901 no. 121|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is October 1901, no. 121.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|