The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 97. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. JANUARY, 1899. (Thirtieth Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 23 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 333 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, Jour large brick buildings, library of 10, 400 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250, 000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500, 000, and, until that is secured, for $25, 000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. Mr. H. W. Leland, our Instructor in Mechanic Arts, was married at Orange, Mass., Dec. 27, to Miss Gertrude J. Durkee of that place. The sociable on the night of the 26th was of more than usual interest. The place was the gymnasium, and refreshments added to the zest of the occasion. The fall term closed December 23, and the winter term began December 26. Judging from the records, the past term was one of more than usual success in scholarship as well as in numbers. On the occasion of the Atlanta Peace Jubilee, December 14 and 15, we had half holidays both afternoons, thus being able to attend all public festivities connected with President McKinley's visit to this city. Miss Hosmer, with her sister Miss Abbie S. Hosmer, who had been here with her nearby six weeks, left for her home December 22. Mr Leland accompanied them. Miss Hosmer endured the journey well, and is still slowly improving. A chorus of sixteen voices, from this institution, furnished part of the music at the emancipation exercises at Bethel A. M. E. Church, January 2. The orator was Rev. S. X. Floyd ('91). Mr. Floyd stopped with us while in the city. The last addition to the equipment of the gymnasium has been a gift of bracket lamps, so that the room can be used for exercise or class work after night fall. The hour before supper is almost the only time of day in which any large number of boys have their time at their own disposal. Our Graduates. A brief statement of prominent positions held by our graduates in educational work will be both suggestive and interesting. To this list might be added the names of thirteen principals of public grammar schools, and of twenty teachers in schools above the grammar grade. College Presidents: Richard R. Wright ('76), State Industrial College, Savannah. Nathaniel W. Collier ('94), Fla. Bapt. Coll., Jacksonville, Fla. College Professors: William H. Crogman ('76), Clark University, Atlanta. Oswell A. Combs ('82), Morris Brown College, Atlanta. Benjamin F. Allen ('94), Lincoln Univ., Jefferson City, Mo. George F. Smith ('97), Lincoln Univ., Jefferson City, Mo. Heads of Departments: Edgar J. Penney ('76), Theol.,N. and I.Inst.,Tuskegee,Ala. Henry A.Hunt ('90), Ind'st., Biddle Univ.,Charlotte,N.C. Principals of Normal and High Schools: Lucy C. Laney ('73), Haines Institute, Augusta. Fletcher H. Henderson ('79), Howard Normal, Cuthbert. James A. Henry ('83), High School, Chattanooga,Tenn. Mrs. Anna W. Richardson ('85), Lamson Institute, Marshallville. Lewis S.Clark ('87), Knox Institute, Athens. James A. Bray ('93), West Broad High School, Athens. Felix A. Curtright ('96), Ga.N.and I. Institute, Greensboro. Noah W. Curtright ('96), Walker Institute, Augusta.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1899 no. 97|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is January 1899, no. 97.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|