NUMBER 98. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. FEBRUARY, 1899. Nearly $7,000 has been received for the erection of this building, chiefly from Circles of King's Daughters in many parts of the country and from personal friends of the late Mrs. Maria B. Furber, wife of the Rev. Dr. Daniel L. Furber of Newton Centre, Mass. It is estimated that $3,000 more will be needed to finish, furnish, and equip the building for the important department of instruction to which it will be devoted. It is designed to teach the domestic arts in the most thoroughly scientific as well as practical manner. Under competent instructors the young women will themselves carry on the work of the home. They will learn the " why " as well as the " how " of what they do. The chemical, physiological, and economic relations of the food question will be taught, as well as the principles of drainage, ventilation, and general household sanitation. Needle work and laundry work, so far as they pertain to a well-ordered home life, will receive due attention, and also the care of the sick. Thus trained, the young women will, in connection with their academic studies, be fitted to become efficient mistresses of the homes to which many of them will be called by marriage, and (what is especially sought) to become teachers of domestic science among the destitute masses. The architects, Messrs. Hartwell, Richardson, and Driver of Boston, have planned the building with special reference to its educational uses as well as to convenience in housekeeping and economy of construction. The kitchen and sewing Continued on third page.
All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact email@example.com with specific object file name.