The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 103. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. OCTOBER, 1899. (Thirty-first Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 22 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 352 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, four large brick buildings, library of 10,500 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D.D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. Prof. J. W. E. Bowen of Gammon Theological Seminary preached the opening sermon, Oct. 8. Prof. Webster attended again the summer quarter of the University of Chicago. Miss Smith spent a part of the summer at Boston and Chautauqua, studying normal and practical methods of teaching Domestic Science. The Model Home is now practically completed. As teachers and students return, all are pleased with the appearance of this new addition to our group of buildings. Prof. Chase was delayed for four days by the illness of Mrs. Chase. In all other respects teachers were ready for work, and recitations began promptly as scheduled, upon the second day of the term. The quartet, under the manage-ment of Mr. Edward T. Ware, had an unusually successful summer tour in New York and New England. Our thanks are due to all who assisted in making this campaign a success. The thirty first year of our history has opened with a good attendance. The boarding department is larger than at the same time last year, as is also our Stone Hall enrollment. The Sub-Normal class has been dropped ; but in spite of this fact our total is only eight less than it was last year at the same time. As usual, a number of students come to us for advanced standing. Four have entered college classes, from Benedict College, Columbia, S. C., Paine Institute, Augusta, Walker Baptist Institute, Augusta, and West Broad High School, Athens. Others have entered the Third Normal or Senior Preparatory classes. Our Graduates. '76—Pres. R. R. Wright of the Georgia State Industrial College delivered last June the annual address at Wilberforce University, Xenia, Ohio, and received from that institution the honorary degree of LL. D. '81—Butler R. Wilson, Esq., has been appointed Master of Chancery of the courts of Boston, Mass., by the governor of that state. '83—John T. Grant has been commissioned captain in the 49th regiment, United States Volunteers. '91—Rev. Silas X. Floyd has been chosen pastor of the Tabernacle Baptist Church in Augusta, succeeding Rev. Dr. C. T. Walker. He entered upon his new duties Oct. 1. '94—Samuel A. Stripling is now teaching in Greene Co., a considerable part of the time in co-operation with F. A. Curtright ('96), principal of the Ga. Normal and Industrial Institute at Greensboro. '97—S. A. Peters, a student in Gammon Theological Seminary, won the prize offered by that institution for the best original oration upon Africa. The contest was held May 7. '98—Ophelia O. Brooks is teaching at Paine Institute, Augusta. '99—George F. Porter is teaching as principal of the Normal Department in the Anniston Normal and Industrial College, Anniston, Ala. Carrie E. Brydie is teaching at Haines Institute, Augusta. Joseph T. Porter and John P. Seabrooke have gone into business in Charleston, S. C. Ruth M. Harris, Rosa L. Dur-din and Lucy R. Smith have positions in the public schools of Atlanta.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1899 no. 103|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is October 1899, no. 103.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|