The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 104. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. NOVEMBER, 1899. (Thirty-first Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 22 officers and teachers. From the col-lege and normal courses 352 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, four large brick buildings, library of 10, 500 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholar- ships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. Mrs. Case, after a relapse which delayed her return for a time, has recovered and is with us again. President Bumstead delivered an address at the opening session of the New Atlanta District Conference of Congregational churches, Oct. 27. Rev. C. S. Haynes of Athens preached for us Oct. 29. He was in the city attending the sessions of the New Atlanta District Conference. Two of our students, Misses Sarah H. Jefferson and Annie H. Mack, both from Athens, served as delegates to the above named conference. The first public rhetorical exercise of the year, held Nov. 12, was largely attended, as has been usually true the past two years. The industrial work of our boys, and a program of our courses of study, formed an important part of the educational exhibit in the Negro building at the Georgia State Fair. The Model Home, upon which work was begun March 21, was turned over to us as a completed building Nov. 1. The work of furnishing the interior, and of grading the grounds around it, still remains to be done. Oct. 26th was a school holiday, being Negro Day at the Georgia State Fair. Over two hundred of our students were members of the chorus of one thousand voices which furnished music for that occasion. Miss Stenabaugh, who was taken seriously ill last June before leaving Atlanta, is expected soon to return, after spending a restful and invigorating vacation in her home at Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. Our Graduates. Out of forty regular teachers in the Atlanta public schools, twenty eight are representatives of this institution, the same number as last year. Nearly all the substitute teachers, or supernumeraries, are from Atlanta University. Two of the three addresses on Negro Day at the Georgia State Fair were delivered by our graduates ; one by Pres. R. R. Wright ('76) on "The Negro in History," and one by Rev, L. B. Maxwell ('85) on "The Negro of To-Day." The secretary of the Negro exhibit was one of our former college students of the class of 1890, Peyton A. Allen, now a lawyer in Atlanta. '80—The Farmers' Improvement Society of Texas held its fourth annual convocation last month at Columbus. It was really a well organized fair, and a remarkable success. The founder of this society, Hon. Robert L. Smith of Oakland, is still its efficient president. '95—Mattie F. Childs does not return to Tuskegee this year, where she has been a highly valued teacher, because of the needs at her home in Marion, Ala. '97—R. W. Gadsden is now instructor in Greek and in the industrial department, Knox Institute, Athens. '98—A. H. Brown was a student of the University of Chicago last summer, daring the summer quarter. '99—Julia. O. Wright is acting as private secretary to her father, Pres. R. R. Wright ('76), at her home in College. Madeline R. Shivery is a teacher at Beach Institute, Savannah.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1899 no. 104|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is November 1899, no. 104.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact email@example.com with specific object file name.|