The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 96. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. DECEMBER, 1898. (Thirtieth Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 23 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 333 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, four large brick buildings, library of 10, 400 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250, 000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500, 000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D.D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. Thanksgiving night was made pleasant by a general sociable in Stone Hall, which included day pupils as well as boarders. Attention is called to the completed report of the conference last May, issued by the Atlanta University Press. An extended notice is given elsewhere. Miss Hosmer, of whose illness we spoke last month, seems to have somewhat improved, although still unable to be about. She is planning to return to her home in Ashby, Mass., for the remainder of the year. Mr. W. A. Hunton, traveling secretary for the International Committee of Young Men's Christian Associations, addressed our students Sunday night, Dec. 11, and conducted chapel exercises the following morning. Mr. Hunton's visits and words are always welcome among us. Considerable interest in foot ball has been shown by our students this fall. But the distance to other institutions which have a foot ball eleven has prevented the playing of a match game. The season closed with a game between two teams of our own students the day before Thanksgiving. Much regret has been felt at the inability to arrange a match game. Mr. W. D. Smith, our business manager, has been erecting this fall a house on Nelson St., not very far from the University. On the first of December, with his family, he moved from North Hall to his new house. On the same day Rev. Martin Post, with his family, moved from West End into a part of the same house, it having been built to accomodate two families. Our Graduates '85—Ella P. Baker is now teaching at the Atlanta Baptist College in this city. '91—A recent letter from Henrietta R. (Adams) Faduma speaks encouragingly of the work which she is doing with her husband, Rev. O. Faduma, at Troy, N. C, under the auspices of the American Missionary Association. '92—Mary E. (Keller) Curtright, the wife of F. A. Curtright ('96), died at her home in Greensboro Nov. 9. Mrs. Curtright was an unusually excellent student when a member of this institution, and after her graduation a successful teacher in the Atlanta public schools until her marriage. Her death occurred only six days after Mr. Curtright had opened his new school, the Georgia Normal and Industrial Institute, of which mention was made in our last issue. '96—Ida C. Williams is teaching in one of the public schools at Columbus. '97—Nellie H. McNair is teaching in one of the public schools at Columbus, and Annie M. Brown at Covington. '98—Ophelia O. Brooks is not teaching at Milledgeville, as was erroneously reported. She has been detained at home this fall by the serious illness of her mother. '98—Of the Normal class graduating last May, Sarah L. Hunt is teaching at the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute, Tuskegee, Ala.; Minnie C. Reed in Knox Institute, Athens ; Mamie E. Hamilton at Eatonton: Eva S. Henderson in the Howard Normal School at Cuth-bert; Hattie M. Landrum at Marietta.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1898 no. 96|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is December 1898, no. 96.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact email@example.com with specific object file name.|