The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 102. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. JUNE, 1899. (Thirtieth Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 23 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 333 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, four large brick buildings, library of 10, 500 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The By the "Summary of Graduates and their Occupations," on the closing page of the catalogue, out of 288 now alive, no fewer than 164, or 57 per cent, are actively engaged in teaching. Bulletin No. 22 of the U. S. Department of Labor (May, 1899) devotes pages 401-417 to The Negro in the Black Belt: Some Social Sketches. This is edited by Prof. Du Bois. The studies which he presents are based mainly upon notes gathered by members of the classes of 1898 and 1899. Burghardt, the little son of Prof. and Mrs. Du Bois, died after a brief illness on Wednesday, May 24. The services, conducted by Rev. H. H. Proctor, were very sympathetic. This is the second death upon our campus during the past ten years, the one before being that of Prof. J. H. Hincks in 1894. Miss Clifford's music pupils gave an informal recital in the chapel after the school exercises for the day had closed, May 19. The selections rendered were both vocal and instrumental. Miss Clifford has had an unusually large number of pupils, several of them from outside our regular student membership. Rev. Warren Low of Holbrook, Mass., preached for us Sunday morning, April 30. In the afternoon Rev. Wm. G. Poor of Keene, N. H., addressed us, instead of the usual Sunday School exercises. At night Rev. F. D. Kelsey of Toledo, Ohio, formerly Professor of Botany in Oberlin College, spoke to us by invitation of the Y. M. C. A. All of these were in the city attending the International Sundav School Convention. Commencement Week. The various exercises connected with our thirtieth anniversary were unusually pleasant. The weather was favorable, and the attendance large. Phi Kappa Anniversary. The annual address before the Phi Kappa Society was delivered by Rev. Wilbur P. Thirkield, D. D., President of Gammon Theological Seminary. It was upon the topic, The Higher Education of the Negro. Something excellent is always expected from Dr. Thirkield, and he" fully met all expectations. The members of the society were gratified by an attendance considerably larger than usual. Baccalaureate Sermon. This was preached by the Rev. Dr. Edward C. Moore, of Providence, R. I., one of our trustees. It was delivered to a crowded house, and was a striking discourse. Quite a full abstract is given elsewhere. Examinations. These were held on Monday and Tuesday, all of the classes being placed upon the program. The closing examination was in the form of a "pedagogical conference," participated in by the Senior and Junior College classes and the Senior Normal class. Conference on City Problems. This is more fully reported elsewhere, and was very successful. Commencement Exercises. All the members of the college graduating class, nine, and five members of the normal class, selected on the basis of scholarship during their entire course, had parts on the program. The house was crowded. The Commencement Address was given by Rev. Wm. H. Davis, D. D., of Newton, Mass., setting forth in a
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1899 no. 102|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is June 1899, no. 102.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|