The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 109. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. APRIL, 1900. (Thirty-first Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the In- stitution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 22 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 352 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, four large brick buildings, library of 10, 500 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. The Commencement orator this year will be Rev. L. B. Maxwell('85). Prof. Chase has returned to Atlanta, and resumed his regular class work April 2. President Bumstead will speak at the Capon Springs Conference, next June, on "The Practical Value of the Higher Education of the Negro." The four copies of pictures by H. O. Tanner, recently presented by Miss Stokes, have been framed and hung in the front hall of Stone Hall. The children of the Leonard St. Orphanage gave a very pleasing entertainment in the Ware Memorial Chapel the night of April 6. On his return from New England to Texas, Mr. P. L. Smith stopped in Atlanta for a few hours, addressing the students on the afternoon of April 4. Among our March visitors were Secretary Beard of the American Missionary Association, President Backus of Packer Collegiate Institute in Brooklyn, Rev. Dr. E. S. Tead of Somerville, Mass., Mr. Herbert A. Wilder and Mr. Spaulding of Newton, Mass., and President John M. Allen of the Hartford Steam Boiler Insurance Co. At a recent meeting of the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees, Mr. R. L. Smith ('80) was appointed Southern Secretary. He will continue his connection with the Farmers' Improvement Society in Texas, still giving to that organization the greater part of his time. But a considerable portion of his energy will be given to the service of this institution, in such ways as may be found most helpful to our work. Our Graduates. The Knox Herald for March especially interests us. It is published by Knox Institute at Athens, of which L. S. Clark ('87) is the principal, and its two leading articles are on "Our Industrial Work" by the teacher of that department, R. W. Gadsden ('97), and on "The Christian Influence of Knox Institute" by another teacher, Miss M. L. M.Turner ('96). '80—The Outlook for March 31 has an article four pages in lengtb,byR. L. Smith, on "Village Improvement Among the Negroes." '83—The first statement of the Reed Home and School, in Covington, has been recently issued by Mrs. Dinah Watts Pace, who has been in continuous charge of the work since its beginning in 1884. The report covers briefly the work of the first fifteen years. '91—L. B. Palmer, having graduated with honor from the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania last June, and having served for some months in one of the Chicago hospitals, has now entered upon private medical practice in Chicago. '97—Anna B. Hooker, teacher of music at Howard Normal School, Cuthbert, sends us occasionally interesting programs of the rhetorical exercises in that institution, '99—The Tougaloo News, in speaking of the field day sports and foot ball game of Feb. 22 at Tougaloo University, says of Wm. J. Decatur, assistant instructor in the industrial department there, "The success of the day is mainly due to his efforts and the interest he manifested in the sports."
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1900 no. 109|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is April 1900, no. 109.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact email@example.com with specific object file name.|