The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 110. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. MAY, 1900. (Thirty-first Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 22 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 353 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, four large brick buildings, library of 10,500 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus A grand-daughter of Prof. Chase was born at Bellows Falls, Vt., April 23. President George Sale of the Atlanta Baptist College preached for us April 29. The baccalaureate sermon will be preached by Rev. Frederick H. Means of Windham, Conn., a member of our board of trustees. Rev. Byron Gunner of Newport, R. L, delivered a very interesting lecture on "How to be Beautiful" the night of April 19, The memorial services, on the morning of Sunday, April 22, and the night of Sunday, May 6, were of unusual interest. A fuller report is given elsewhere. Mr. Martin M. Post is now taking the work of Miss Swift, who left for New England May 2 at the advice of her physician. Our other teachers are now all engaged in their regular work. An entertainment Apr. 27, under the auspices of the Phi Kappa Society, proved especially good. The Askew Brothers from the city furnished instrumental music, and Mr. Martin M. Post, as reader and impersonator, gave a most excellent and much appreciated presentation of the play "David Garrick." A prize speaking contest was held in Ware Chapel, under the auspices of Mrs. Herndon, the night of May 4. The prizes, one gold and two silver medals, were awarded to Misses Fannie M. Settles, Ida M. C. Ford, and Annie E. King. The speaking was of a high order of merit, and well deserved the close attention it received from the large audience. Our Graduates The graduates living in Atlanta will give a reception to graduates living outside this city, and hold public exercises in Ware Memorial Chapel, on Monday night of Commencement week. They are working vigorously for a full attendance, '76—Prof. W. H. Crogman of Clark University was tendered a reception and banquet by his many friends the night of April 13. As a token of appreciation of his splendid service as an educator, a purse was presented to him, also the Browning letters and Jowett's Plato. Professor Crogman began to teach in 1870, even before entering Atlanta University, and has been at Clark University continuously since his graduation. '90—Rev. F. G. Snelson, for three years presiding elder and missionary superintendent of the A. M. E. Church work in Sierra Leone, West Africa, reached his home in Athens April 18. '95—Mattie F. Childs is now teaching at Lincoln Institute, Marion, Ala, '96—The death of Fannie T. Habersham is more fully reported on our second page. '97—Prin. F. A. Curtright of the Ga. Normal and Industrial Institute at Greensboro has been appointed by State School Commissioner Glenn to have charge of the Peabody Institute in his section next summer. '97—Stephen A. Peters graduated from Gammon Theological Seminary April 27 with the degree of B. D. He will be the annual orator of the Phi Kappa society at their public exercises May 25. '98—Rosa M. Porter has taught the past year in Madison.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1900 no. 110|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is May 1900, no. 110.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|