The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 106. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. JANUARY, 1900. (Thirty- first Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of' trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 22 officers and teachers. From the col-lege and normal courses 352 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, four large brick buildings, library of 10, 500 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga On The Campus. The week of prayer was observed by meetings each night, as is our annual custom. The annualemancipation exercises of the Phi Kappa Society, held Jan. 1, were carried through with commendable earnestness and success. Professor DuBois was absent in Washington between Christmas and New Year's, attending the annual meeting of the American Negro Academy, of which he is the president. The return of the victorious foot ball team December 16 was the occasion of a very enthusiastic, though somewhat informal, sociable in North Hall that night. President Bumstead's telegram of congratulation added to the zest of the occasion. Up to the present writing not a single boarding girl has left school this year, save one, who has completed the work necessary for graduation. This is surely an unprecedented record. We now have 83 boarding girls, who fill North Hall to overflowing. The public rhetorical exercises December 15 were unusually excellent and there was a large attendance. Added interest is given to these exercises this year by having on the program orations, which we have not had for several years past. It was our privilege to have with us, and to have speak to the school December 8, Commander Booth-Tucker of the Salvation Army. It will be a long time before some of us forget these words which he uttered; "The joy of joys is the joy that joys in the joy of others." Our Graduates. '76—"Sea-Side Homilies" is the title of a pamphlet containing four discourses delivered in 1898 by Rev. G. W. F. Phillips while pastor of St. Andrews C. M. E. church in Brunswick. They are entitled; The New Birth, The Power of Jesus, The Healing Waters, The Great Question. '80—Robert L. Smith of Oakland, Texas, has recently been in the North with Principal Booker T. Washington of Tuskegee, speaking in behalf of that institution. Attention is called to our extract elsewhere with reference to his work in Texas. '88—Mrs. Alice M. (McGhan ) Hoyt is now preceptress and principal of the normal department in Wiley University at Marshall, Texas. Mrs. Hoyt is a teacher of much experience, for a number of years in the public schools of Georgia, and more recently in Gilbert Academy, Baldwin, La. '89—Preston M. Edwards, M.D., of St. Joseph, Mo., has been reelected president of the Scientific and Literary Club of that city, which was originally organized through his influence in October, 1895. '90—Rev. F. G. Snelson, the head of the missionary department of the A. M. E. Church in West Africa, is now making missionary addresses in England and Scotland. '91—Helena M. Brown, for several years past a teacher in Haines Institute, Augusta, was married Dec. 19 to Rev. A. J. Cobb, pastor of the C. M. E. church at Marshallville. '99—W. A. Rogers is assisting Prof. DuBois in his preparations for the exhibit at the Paris Exposition.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1900 no. 106|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is January 1900, no. 106.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|