The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 108. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. MARCH, 1900. (Thirty-first Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 22 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 352 graduates have been sent- out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, four large brick buildings, library of 10,500 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga On The Campus. Professors Adams and DuBois represented the faculty of this institution at the Tuskegee Conference. J. A. Hopkins('03) represented our Y. M. C. A. at the convention in Tuskegee, Ala., Feb. 23-25. The Athletic entertainment, held the night of March 2, was well attended and netted a fair sum to the Association. Mr. W. A. M. Streeter has returned to his work as superintendent of the printing office, the health of Mrs. Streeter having materially improved. Prof. Chas. A. King of Berea College, Ky., and Mr. H. W. Sadd of So. Windsor, Conn., made us a flying visit on their way back from Tuskegee. A large delegation from this institution went to Spelman Seminary the night of Feb. 25 to hear Dr. Thirkield, the newly elected secretary of the Epworth League. Rev. E. P. Johnson ('79) spoke to the school at devotions on the morning of February 26. Others who addressed the students during the same week were Mr. R. L. Smith, Dr. D. H. Mann of the National Temperance Society, and Miss Mary A. Currier, who has for many years taught elocution in Wellesley College. Mr. R. L. Smith('80) was here Feb. 24-27, on his way to the North. He spoke to the students several times, interesting them very much in the work of the Farmers' Improvement Society, and making practical suggestions which will bear fruit in their future work. Our Graduates. At the Tuskegee Conference Feb. 21 and 22, in addition to Professors Adams and DuBois of the faculty, the following graduates were pres -ent: Rev. and Mrs E. J. Penney, R. L. Smith, Mrs. Adella H. Logan, Mrs. Elnora P. Frazier, Susan H. Porter, Mabel L. Keith and Sarah L. Hunt. Of these Mr. Penney, Mrs. Logan, Misses Porter, Keith and Hunt are teachers at Tuskegee Institute, and Mr. Smith was chairman of the committee on resolutions. '79—Rev. E. P. Johnson has rendered his first report as General Educational Missionary among the Baptists of Georgia. We give extracts elsewhere in this issue. '80—Hon. R. L. Smith of Oakland, Texas, is addressing audiences in the North, during the present month, along with President Bumstead, in the interests of Atlanta University. '96—The Constitution of February 25 has a picture of Principal F. A. Curtright of the Georgia Normal and Industrial Institute. There is also a picture of his school buildings, and an interesting sketch of the work which is being done by his school. '97—Geo. F. Smith, professor of mathematics at Lincoln University, Jefferson City, Mo., is reported to be very ill. '99—Julia O. Wright is now attending Drexel Institute at Philadelphia. S. Louise Allen is teaching at Sycorax. '99—William J. Decatur is teaching as assistant in the Industrial Department at Tougaloo University, Tougaloo, Miss.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1900 no. 108|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is March 1900, no. 108.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|