The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 100. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. APRIL, 1899. (Thirtieth Year.) ATLANTA UNIVERSITY. The higher education of carefully selected Negro young men and women, in both academic and industrial lines, is emphasized by this Institution as necessary for the elementary and industrial training of the masses. "Men of light and leading" in other spheres of activity are also greatly needed by the race that has so long sat in darkness. Earnestly Christian, as required by its charter, yet entirely unsectarian, the Institution is controlled solely by its own board of trustees, on which several denominations are represented. Some 300 students are enrolled under 23 officers and teachers. From the college and normal courses 333 graduates have been sent out, nearly all of whom have readily found permanent employment in teaching or other useful occupations. Situated only about seventy miles from the centre of the Negro population of the country, in one of the largest Southern cities, and at the railroad centre of the South, its location is of strategic importance for promoting the educational advancement of the South. Its plant includes sixty-five acres of land, four large brick buildings, library of 10, 500 volumes, apparatus and other equipment worth not less than $250,000. With practically no endowment, with no aid from public or denominational funds, receiving about one-fourth of its support from its own students, the Institution appeals for an endowment of $500,000, and, until that is secured, for $25,000 annually to meet current expenses. Gifts of any amount are welcome, but special appeal is made for subscriptions of $100 and upwards, and for $40 scholarships. Remittances may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. Ground was broken for the Model Home Mar. 21. The work is now making rapid progress. Rev. Dr. W. A. Duncan, secretary of the Chautauqua system of the United States, who was in Georgia attending the Albany Chautauqua, addressed us at the close of the Sunday School April 9. Prof. J. W. E. Bowen of Gammon Theological Seminary spoke Sunday night, April 2, upon "Consecration." His address was under the auspices of the Young Men's Christian Association. We were glad to have a session of the Y. M. C. A. Conference here Saturday afternoon, March 11, and to entertain some of the delegates. The present president of our local association is E. E. Curtright ('00). The concert given in Ware Chapel Feb. 21, under the direction of Mrs. Herndon and Miss Clifford, was repeated at the First Congregational Church, by request, Mar. 10. It was repeated again at Bethel A. M. E. Church March 31. Rev. F. E. Jenkins, pastor of the Central Congregational Church in this city, gave a talk appropriate to the Easter season the night of Mar. 31. His talk was illustrated by views, shown with our oxy-hydrogen lantern. The quartet that is expected to represent the school next summer has been selected. It is made up of G. F. and J. T. Porter ('99), A. Seng-stacke('02) and T. L. Anderson ('03). It has sung already at two city mass meetings preparatory to the International Sunday School Convention. Our Graduates. '83—Geraldine E. (Raney) Mc-Lester died recently at her home in Sanford, Fla. Since 1888 she had been a teacher in this place. She received her early educational training in Augusta. In 1884 she was married to William C. McLester, a graduate of the same class as herself. '88—Susan H. Porter, who has taught at Tuskegee for several years, has written a useful little tract entitled "A Good Housekeeper." It was distributed freely at the last Tuskegee Conference, and also published in the Tuskegee Student of March 23. '96—Alice O'Neil died in Atlanta Mar. 24, after a long illness. She was one of the teachers at the Gate City public school, until forced to relinquish her work by reason of illness. '96—A recent number of the Atlanta Constitution gives quite a lengthy description, with illustrations, of the new school at Greens-boro, the Georgia Normal and Industrial Institute, of which F. A. Curt-right is the principal. We have already alluded to this very promising school. One of Mr. Curtright's assistants is his sister, Miss Hattie Curt-right, who was once a student here. Two undergraduate students who completed the preparatory course and entered the Freshman class have died during the year. One was Chas. A. Catledge, of the class of 1887, who for twelve years taught in the public schools of Americus, the last eight as principal of the McKay Hill School. The other was Jesse A. Harris, of the class of 1901. Both were excellent men.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1899 no. 100|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is April 1899, no. 100.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with specific object file name.|