The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 89. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. FEBRUARY, 1898. ATLANTA UNIVERSITY, ATLANTA, GA., Is a Christian Institution. unsec-tarian in its management and influence, wholly controlled by an independent Board of Trustees, and receiving no aid from city, state or national government, or benevolent society. Has 300 students in College, Normal, College Preparatory and Sub-Normal departments, under 23 officers and teachers. Trains teachers and leaders of their race from among the sons and daughters of the Freedmen of the South. Has sent out 317 graduates from College and Normal courses, nearly all of whom, together with hundreds of past undergraduates, are engaged in teaching and other useful work in Georgia and surrounding States. Owns four large brick buildings, on sixty-five acres of land, one mile from the centre of Atlanta, Ga., library of 10,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment—all valued at not less than a quarter of a million dollars. Having no endowment (except about $33,000,mostly for special objects), the institution requires at least $25, 000 a year in donations from its friends, to continue the work now in hand, and a fund of about $500,000 to put that work on a permanent basis. Annual scholarships of $40 each are asked for to provide for the tuition of one student for one year, over and above the nominal tuition fees paid by the student. Subscriptions of $100 and upwards, or any smaller sums, are solicited for general current expenses. Remittances of donations, or inquiries for further information, may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. We had the pleasure on Sunday, Jan. 30, of hearing a sermon from Pres. C. M. Melden of Clark University. The First Sociological Club of Atlanta was entertained in the teachers' parlor at North Hall, at its last monthly meeting, Jan. 20. The Ware Lyceum threw open its new quarters to the public for the first time the night of Feb. 5, inviting teachers and students to the literary exercises of the evening. On the night of Feb. 4 Mr. G. L. Wood, impersonator and dialect reader, gave an entertainment in the chapel. Those who attended were certainly well repaid, for Mr. Wood is truly a skilled artist in his chosen line. Mr. Edward T.Ware left us Jan. 25, on his way to resume his work in the North. While in the South he not only visited the public and private schools of Atlanta, but also those of Augusta, and such representative institutions as Hampton, Biddle, Tus-kegee and Fisk. The address to the school on the day of prayer for colleges was given by Rev. W.P.Thirkield, D. D., president of Gammon Theological Seminary. Dr. Thirkield is always an interesting and effective speaker, and his words on this occasion were with power. In spite of meagreness of equipment, the gymnasium has already furnished considerable amusement and exercise. Some class work is now being begun. New apparatus comes in slowly; perhaps the very slowness gives interest, as long as there is no absolute stop. Our Graduates. '73—The " Haines Presbyterian Church " was recently organized at Haines Institute, Augusta, of which Miss Lucy C. Laney is the principal. '76—Pres. R. R. Wright, of the Georgia State College, delivered the Emancipation address at Columbus,, Ga., on Jan. 1st. The Columbus Enquirer printed the address in full and the Atlanta Journal printed almost the whole of it. Pres. Wright always makes a good speech. '93—Miss Lena Epps, a member of this class through sophomore year, and a successful teacher in the Macon public schools since then, has been promoted to the principalship of one of the schools. Miss Epps was a fine student while here. '95—Miss M.F. Childs has resigned her position at Tuskegee to be at home with her mother in Marion, Ala. '95—A. C. Holmes has recently left the principalship of his school in Cuthbert, Ga., to accept a similar position in the public school at his home, Albany,Ga. One of his assistants is his sister, Mrs. Elizabeth (Holmes) Griffin('94). Another is Mrs. Jennie (Morris) Lee ('74), one of the veteran teachers of Albany. '96-N. W. Curtright has recently resigned his position in Haines Institute, Augusta, and is now principal of the Eddy Academy, Milledge-ville. Mrs. Curtright, also of the class of '96 ,is associated with him. '97—MissMary M.Wright is teaching in the public school of Athens. '97—Stephen A. Peters was lately called from Norfolk, Va., to take the principalship of a new graded school at Jackson, Ga.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1898 no. 89|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is February 1898, no. 89.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|