The bulletin of Atlanta University
|Previous||1 of 4||Next|
Loading content ...
NUMBER 88. ATLANTA, GEORGIA. JANUARY, 1898. ATLANTA UNIVERSITY, ATLANTA, GA., Is a Christian Institution. unsec-tarian in its management and influence, wholly controlled by an independent Board of Trustees, and receiving no aid from city, state or national government, or benevolent society. Has 300 students in College, Normal, College Preparatory and Sub-Normal departments, under 23 officers and teachers. Trains teachers and leaders of their race from among the sons and daughters of the Freedmen of the South. Has sent out 317 graduates from College and Normal courses, nearly all of whom, together with hundreds of past undergraduates, are engaged in teaching and other useful work in Georgia and surrounding States. Owns four large brick buildings, on sixty-five acres of land, one mile from the centre of Atlanta, Ga., library of 10,000 volumes, apparatus and other equipment—all valued at not less than a quarter of a million dollars. Having no endowment (except about $33,000,mostly for special objects), the institution requires at least $25, 000 a year in donations from its friends, to continue the work now in hand, and a fund of about $500,000 to put that work on a permanent basis. Annual scholarships of $40 each are asked for to provide for the tuition of one student for one year, over and above the nominal tuition fees paid by the student. Subscriptions of $100 and upwards,or any smaller sums, are solicited for general current expenses. Remittances of donations, or inquiries for further information, may be addressed to Pres. Horace Bumstead, D. D., Atlanta, Ga. On The Campus. The Fall term ended Dec. 23. After a vacation of three days, the school reassembled for another term of hard work. The Phi Kappa society held its annual public exercises appropriate to emancipation day in Ware Memorial Chapel on the night of Jan. 3. Prof. and Mrs. DuBois and little Burghardt arrived just before Christmas. Prof. DuBois has already begun his work, with the opening of the Winter term. The Ware Lyceum has its new headquarters in the room which was formerly the fourth grade room. After a little more renovation, this bids fair to be an excellent room for this and similar purposes. Mr. Edward T. Ware, our newly appointed Northern Secretary and son of our first president, is visiting the school and renewing his former memories. His remarks to the students the morning of Dec. 28 were very helpful and interesting. The room that is to be a gymnasium has at last been made ready. As yet very little has been 'done in procuring apparatus, for the sum of money available for the purpose is not large. But a beginning has actually been made, and the room is proving well adapted to the purpose. On Christmas night a reception was given to Prof. and Mrs. DuBois, and to Mr. Ware, in the gymnasium room. Remarks welcoming Dr. DuBois to his work here were made by Prof. Webster on behalf of the faculty, by Geo. A. Towns ('94) on behalf of the, alumni, and by J. T. Porter ('99) representing the students. Our Graduates. '79—Rev. E. P. Johnson of Madison delivered the address at the emancipation exercises held at Spelman Seminary, in this city, on the night of Dec. 31. During the week of prayer at Atlanta University, Mr. Johnson was with welcome guest. He led the special meetings, addressed the school at devotions three mornings, and spoke many helpful words. '87—L. S. Clarke, principal of the Knox Institute at Athens, Ga., reports in the Knox Herald a very successful year in 1896—'97, and a good beginning this year. The enrolment last year was 302, these pupils representing four states ; the scholarship good; industrial work put into full operation; and an earnest religious life on the part of the students plainly manifest. '88—Memorial services were held in memory of Miss Mary F. Pullin, whose death was noticed in the October Bulletin, in the Loyd St. church Dec. 7, by the County Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Among the speakers were Mrs. Indiana Clark Henry ('78) and Mrs. Martha A. Ford ('74). '94—Miss Judia C. Jackson has become a teacher in Haines Institute, Augusta, Ga. '94—The Florida Baptist Academy, of which N. W. Collier has been principal, has now changed its name to the Florida Baptist College. Mr. Collier is its president. This young and growing institution is located at Jacksonville. '97—Miss Alice B. Clithrall is teaching at Columbus, Ga., as assistant principal.
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University, 1898 no. 88|
Universities & colleges
|Description||The bulletin of Atlanta University was a publication sent to faculty, friends and alumni of the institution; Telling of the institution's progress and present needs. This issue is January 1898, no. 88.|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodruff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Title||The bulletin of Atlanta University|
|Holding Library||Robert W. Woodurff Library of the Atlanta University Center|
|Rights||All images in this collection either are protected by copyright or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with specific object file name.|